What do you when you have mini pumpkins left after you finished your fall decorating? You stuff and bake them! Then you wished you had more 🙂 Today I am sharing my Baked Quinoa and Turkey Sausage Stuffed Mini Pumpkins.
I came upon a stuffed pumpkin recipe ages ago and saved it somewhere (where was Pinterest when you needed it?). Of course, that somewhere was no where to be found, so I just had to figure out what shall I stuff these mini beauties with. I used a mix of quinoa and brown rice that I have cooked before stuffing the pumpkins. I added some Italian turkey sausage and sautéed onion and red pepper and that’s it! It is crazy easy to make them!
If you are planning a Halloween party, these mini pumpkins will be a success! Both kids and adults will fall in love with them. You can cut the mini pumpkins where they are ready into wedges and serve them this way or just invite your guests to scoop the insides out. That’s my favorite:)! I love scrapping the pumpkin into the delicious filling, getting the best of the flavors combined. Oh! Just one more thing, I always discard the skin. It is just too tough.
- 4 mini pumpkins, hollowed out
- ½ cup quinoa, cooked
- ¼ cup brown rice, cooked
- 2 sweet Italian turkey sausages
- ½ cup red pepper diced
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ½ tsp salt
- a pinch of pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare quinoa and brown rice as directed (1:2 quinoa/ rice to water ratio).
- De-case and crumble the sausage meat and place it in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook the sausage for 5 minutes, until it is almost done. Remove the sausage from the pan, increase heat to medium,add and sauté the onion and bell pepper for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and mix with prepared quinoa and brown rice and already cooked sausage, add salt and pepper.
- Evenly fill the hollowed-out pumpkins with the stuffing mixture and place the pumpkins in a shallow baking dish. Cover the dish with aluminum foil, bake for 40 minutes, remove the foil, and bake for 10 more minutes. Serve immediately.