Whether you are planning a fiesta in your backyard for Cinco de Mayo or you just wanna enjoy a quiet afternoon, these gooey Chorizo and Shrimp Quesadillas will be perfect for a taco night…Tuesday Taco 🙂 Of course, there cannot be a Mexican food celebration without a fresh salsa on side and some Mexican crema.
I know these days most of the supermarkets sell different types of salsa but there is no better salsa than the fresh one, made from scratch with fresh and ripe produce and herbs. After all, Mexican food it’s all about fresh, vibrant ingredients and flavor packed salsas and sauces, right?! What better option than a fresh Pico de Gallo on side? The perfect Mexican salsa made with fresh, ripe tomatoes, onions and jalapeño chili.
Quesadillas are great! They are ready in no time and you can fill them with pretty much anything you want. Leftovers can go in too 🙂 Plenty of cheese, a couple of minutes in a pan and here you have a crowd pleaser appetizer!
It was not easy to decide which quesadilla to go with this time, until I saw Rachel’s Ray recipe. Chorizo and sautéed shrimp covered in melted Jack cheese….sounded like the perfect combination. Just reading the ingredients I knew it will be a winner!
Before I let you enjoy these Chorizo and Shrimp (Prawn) Quesadillas, I have to share with you the secret of how to make perfectly cheesy quesadillas every time. Well, there are 2 tips actually, first is to try and keep it simple when it comes to the filling. We tend to throw too many things at once. Try and stick to maximum 5 ingredients if possible. Second tip is to sauté all your ingredients prior to adding them to flour tortillas, getting rid of any juices left in the pan. You want your quesadillas to be cheesy and crisp.
Serve them along with Pico de Gallo Salsa and some Mexican crema sprinkled on top. Enjoy!
- ½ pound chorizo sausage, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus some for drizzling
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 large shrimp (prawns) peeled and deveined
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded pepper Jack cheese
- salt and pepper
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Brown chorizo 2 to 3 minutes, then remove from pan. Add oil, garlic, then shrimp. Season shrimp with salt and pepper and cook shrimp until pink, 2 or 3 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a cutting board and coarsely chop.
- Add a drizzle of oil to the pan and a large tortilla. Cook tortilla 30 seconds, then turn. Cover ½ of the tortilla with a couple of handfuls of cheese. Arrange a layer of chorizo and shrimp over the cheese and fold tortilla over. Press down gently with a spatula and cook tortilla a minute or so on each side to melt cheese and crisp. Remove quesadilla to large cutting board and repeat with remaining ingredients. Cut each quesadilla into 5 wedges and transfer to plates with your spatula. Top wedges of quesadillas with Mexican Crema and serve with Pico de Gallo salsa.