Happy Saturday Everyone!
We are officially welcoming the long awaited summer today. Hope it is sunny and warm wherever you are 🙂
Last night, Costa Rica has produced yet another massive surprise at the World Cup with a 1-0 win over Italy. Did the Azzuro team see this coming? Probably not 🙁 They will have a very difficult game against Uruguay now- that’s for sure.
This morning we are going to celebrate Costa Rica! and their flavorful cuisine based on fresh fruits and vegetables. The Costa Rican national dish is Gallo Pinto, a breakfast dish of rice and black beans mixed together with onions and bell peppers. The traditional breakfast drink, apart from coffee, is called ague dulce, translating sweet water. This drink is made from tapa de dulce, sugar cane juice boiled down and put to solidify, then later dissolved into boiling water or milk. The Costa Rican culture is about the sun and good times. Celebrating life and all it has to offer. And so should we with the recipe I prepared to share with you.
I am cooking Chicken Escabeche with coconut rice and beans for today. It is a very interesting combination of flavors, including bay leaves, onion rings, capers, balsamic vinegar and pure virgin olive oil.
The young, organic chicken tossed in this marinade is so fresh and the coconut rice with black beans is not overpowering, beautifully balancing and enhancing the chicken- who is the hero of the dish.
- 5 chicken drumsticks
- 1 medium onion, sliced in rings
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup pitted olives
- ¼ cup capers
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup long grain rice
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat ½ cup olive oil in a large over medium high heat. Fry drumsticks, turning until golden brown - about 25 minutes. Set them aside on paper towels. Skin drumsticks and place them in a glass bowl. Add onion rings, bay leaves, olives, capers and olive oil. Combine ¼ cup water, balsamic vinegar, and ¼ cup olive oil in a bowl. Pour mixture over drumsticks. Cover glass bowl for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, start cooking the rice. Add butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in chopped shallot and garlic, cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in rice then pour in the coconut milk and water. Season with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20-25 minutes. Stir in the black beans and cook for another minute.
- Serve hot or cold with coconut and black beans rice.