Today we will focus on desserts. And not just any dessert…my favorite one, by far, since I starting this culinary marathon. Today, I made Croatian Blackberry Pie (Pita od Kupina)!
I have been waiting for some time now to take on a trip to Croatia!
Traditional Croatian cuisine is mainly based on fish and grilling techniques using different kinds of wood to give each fish a different flavor. Being on the Adriatic Sea, Croatia has incorporated many Mediterranean flavors, particularly the use of olive oil. Meanwhile, in the mountainous interior, the food is more Serbian/ Austrian or Hungarian related. Pork and lamb are more common, as are dairy products.
You may be wondering why is this Croatian Blackberry Pie so special?!! Right?
It is so perfect!
The pastry is so buttery and flaky, the way it should be 🙂
The meringue-like filling is so light and fluffy with the delicious addition of blackberries to balance the whole sweetness of the pie.
Trust me, you are not going to find a better pie this summer! I cannot say how much of this beauty was left on the plate by the time I have finished this post..I feel ashamed 🙂
- 1 cup plain flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 6 oz/ 170 g cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 pound (aprox 500gr) fresh or frozen, thawed blackberries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- powdered sugar, to serve
- Process flour, baking powder, butter and ½ cup granulated sugar in a food processor until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add 2 egg yolks and process until mixture forms a ball; dough will be soft. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface.
- Reserve one-third of the dough; shape into a disc, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Using damp hands, press remaining dough into the base and sides of a greased and lined 20 cm pie dish. Place pie shell in the refrigerator to chill.
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. To make filling, using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites to soft peaks, then gradually add remaining ½ cup sugar and whisk until thick and glossy. Fold in blackberries, vanilla and lemon zest until combined. Spoon into pastry shell and, using a small knife, slice off small pieces of reserved dough and place over filling to cover.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean. Serve warm or cold dusted with powdered sugar.