Hello again! I would have loved to take you to Spain this afternoon. I wanted so badly for Spain to win. I am still wondering..how this has happened? Everyone is in shock…
So, we are heading back to Netherlands! This time with a dessert recipe..I know, I have a sweet tooth today 🙂 I promise, I will try to behave tomorrow and get some balance.
For this post, I have cooked pancakes (Pannekoeken) as they are a popular staple of the Dutch cuisine. You can get easily intimidated by how many different choices of pancakes you will find on a Dutch menu. You can always play it safe or go wild with terrific combinations, savory or sweet…so many possibilities 🙂
I have decided to play safe…just for today, so I have made pancake filled with caramelized slices of apple, topped with some fesh whipped cream. Heaven! Not to mention how easy and quick you can have this dessert done Have some spare apples, try this delicious and fluffy Dutch apple pannekoeken!
- 2 medium size apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole milk
- 3tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a medium saucepan add the apples, cinnamon, 1 tsp vanilla extract and 2 teaspoons sugar. Saute the apples over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pancake batter. Mix the milk, 1 tsp vanilla and eggs in a bowl. Add the flour, 1 tsp sugar and whisk lightly (try not getting lumps).
- Line a baking pan with baking paper and add the batter to this pan. Add the caramelized apple mixture, swirling it through the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, top with whipped cream!