These thin, crispy Easter Hot Cross Bun Cookies are the perfect treat this Easter!
It’s again that time of the year when all I can think of is…Hot Cross Buns! With Easter just around the corner, have already devoured tray after tray of freshly baked Choc Chip Hot Cross Buns. These hot cross buns are so easy to make, packed with citrus flavor (I like to add some orange zest to the dough) and real chocolate pieces…absolutely irresistible! You can find the recipe here.
Now, today I want to share with you a nice twist on the traditional hot cross buns recipe, that is even easier to make – Hot Cross Bun Cookies! Breakfast is cover with hot cross buns and now, tea time is covered too 🙂 These perfect crisp cookies are just the perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea.
I am planning to serve these Easter Hot Cross Bun Cookies for dessert with my favorite chocolate pots this year! Pretty sure everyone will love them! Recipe for chocolate pots can be found here.
Hope you’ll enjoy them!
- 160g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1&3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- white icing for serving
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse to combine. Add 1 tablespoon iced water to the mixture and pulse again until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Transfer mixture to a slightly floured surface and knead until combined. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line up with baking paper 2 baking trays and set them aside.
- Remove dough from fridge and cut in half. Roll out first piece to 3-5 mm thick. Using round biscuit cutter, cut rods in the rolled dough and place them apart on trays. Repeat process with the second half too.
- Bake in batches for around 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool down before serving them. Pipe crosses on each cookie using the white icing mixture.