What a crazy Monday it is today! Celebrating Australia Day and waiting for the blizzard! Would have loved to be outside, preferably near a barbecue but the weather had other plans…we stayed in and prepared for the snow, whipping up a big batch of my tasty Australian – themed sausage rolls – Lamb Mushroom and Oregano Sausage Rolls.
Seriously, can someone say no to these delicious small pockets of oregano seasoned fresh ground lamb wrapped in golden puff pastry (there is no need to make your own from scratch, if you don’t have time)?! Definitely a crowd pleaser, kids included too 🙂
Sausage rolls are the best. They are so versatile and you can pretty much use any ground meat you prefer, if you don’t like lamb. In less than 1 hour, you’ll have ready these heavenly treats, for under $10!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- ½ cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 slice white bread, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 lb fresh ground lamb
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg, whisked
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F/ 200C. Line 2 trays with baking paper.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Sauté onion, carrot, mushrooms and minced garlic stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, put bread into a bowl and pour over milk. Allow bread to get softened. Squeeze the bread to remove excess milk and crumble it into a large bowl. Add ground lamb and sautéed vegetables to bread and season with salt and pepper. Mix them together until well combined.
- Cut a pastry sheet in half. Spoon a quarter of the mixture along one long edge. Brush opposite edge with a little water. Roll up, enclosing filling. Cut into 8 pieces and transfer to a tray. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Brush rolls with whisked egg and sprinkle with sea salt flakes and extra dried oregano. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm with tomato sauce or any kind of relish on side.
You can freeze any uncooked sausage rolls in an airtight container or in a Ziploc bag for up to 3 months. You can bake them frozen (you’ll have to increase a little bit the time) or thawed.
Hope everyone in the Northeast is staying warm and safe!