No churn peppermint candy cane ice cream is the perfect recipe to include your leftover peppermint candies! Throw some crushed Oreos in too and you got the best dessert!
I love candy canes!
Love. Love them. Especially the peppermint one! Although, these cherry flavored ones were not too bad either 🙂
Every year, comes December, it is the same story all over again. I come home with a big box of candy canes and the fun begins! From hanging them in my Christmas tree to crafts projects, there is a good half of the box that will still be untouched.
Then, the question comes….Why am I buying a big box each and every year???
What shall I do with all these leftover candy canes???
I cannot just throw them in the bin, right?!
Well, this year I was able to come up with a couple of super easy and fun recipes to help me and my guests go through all the candy canes and have barely any leftover ones.
Today, I am sharing one of them, No churn peppermint candy cane ice cream and Wednesday I’ll have another sweet recipe treat.
This no-churn peppermint candy cane ice cream version means there is no need for an ice cream maker! Everything comes together on the stove top and if you have a deep bread/ loaf pan, it will work just perfectly to freeze the ice cream. I left it in the freezer for almost 3 hours and remove it to fold in crushed candy cane (yeah! you can go crazy!) and Oreos. I like to have a more softened ice cream consistency when I add the candies, because it is so much easier to fully incorporate them. Return the pan to the freezer for another 2-3 hours and done!
Just a small tip when crushing the candy canes, so you don’t end up with a sticky kitchen floor. I place them in a sealed zip bag (sandwich size) and place it over a wooden cutting board and using a meat mallet I break the candy canes. I like to get a mix of small pieces, where you can still get some small chunky bits of candy to add to the ice cream.
No mess and job done!
- 750ml heavy cream/ thickened cream
- 250ml milk
- 8 egg yolks
- ⅔ cup (150g) sugar
- 1&1/2 teaspoons peppermint essence
- 1 cup crushed candy canes
- ½ cup Oreo biscuits, crushed
- In a large saucepan, combine the cream and milk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and then turn the heat off.
- Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until thick and pale.
- Gradually add the hot cream mixture to the egg mixture in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly until combined. Return the mixture to the saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for almost 5 minutes or until custard thickens slightly and coats the back of the wooden spoon. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Then stir in the peppermint essence.
- Pour the custard into a deep loaf pan, cover with plastic foil and place it in the freezer for almost 3 hours or until firm but not really frozen. Remove from freezer and using a spatula, fold in crushed candy cane and Oreos. Cover again with plastic foil and return to the freezer for 3 hours or until firm.