The ultimate end of summer dessert – Peach Melba! Sweet, caramelized peaches served with homemade raspberry sauce and vanilla ice cream
I cannot believe September is already here! Where has this summer gone?
School is back (unfortunately) and we are slowly, I mean really slowly adjusting (or better said trying to 🙂 ) to the new schedule. Goodbye sleeping in late, lazy days and tons of fun. My poor little girl came home yesterday with homework. Homework on the first day! I guess we just have to speed up into school mood.
Well, I knew it was going to be a hard and long day so I thought an ice cream dessert and some peaches would make her happy. She adores both of them! So, I made Peach Melba to surprise her after school. Peach Melba is a famous dessert, created by French chef, Auguste Escoffier to honor the Australian soprano Nellie Melba.
Wow! Honestly, one of the best desserts I’ve had all summer. And really easy too! Beautiful, caramelized peaches, served with homemade raspberry sauce and vanilla ice cream…ah! just heaven!
In the original recipe, peaches are blanched for a couple of seconds and then peeled. I just grilled them! I think peaches are terrific grilled for a couple of minutes over a medium flame. The heat of the grill brings out the natural sugars and softens the flesh. The result is a CRAZY yum…sweet, slightly caramelized and soft peaches.
Serve them of top of a homemade raspberry sauce and 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream, sprinkle some sliced almonds over and there you have the ultimate end of summer dessert!
- Raspberry Sauce
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Grilled Peaches
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 fresh, ripe peaches, peeled and pitted
- vanilla ice cream, 8 scoops
- some fresh raspberries for garnish
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Make Raspberry Sauce: Puree fresh raspberries, sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a blender or using a and blender. Strain the mixture through a sieve into a medium saucepan and discard the seeds. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until warmed through for about 1 minute. In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch with 2 tablespoons warm water and then add the mixture to the saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring, until thickened, for about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat, allow to cool completely and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- Make Grilled Peaches: In a small bowl, mix melted butter with brown sugar. Cut each peach into wedges. Brush wedges with some of the butter mixture and grill them over medium heat, just until tender, about 3 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- To serve Peach Melba add a thick layer of raspberry sauce in a glass, add 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream, top with grilles peaches and a couple of fresh raspberries and sprinkle ½ tablespoon of sliced almonds on top. Enjoy!