My new favorite breakfast dish, Poached Eggs with Avocado and Spicy Lime Sauce!
I am trying to add some protein to my breakfast, as I am usually a coffee and “sweet something” person. We usually have eggs for breakfast on the weekends, plain omelet – my daughter’s first choice or scrambled with smoked salmon and capers on side. I have cooked them so many times..I needed to try something new…poached eggs…
Yummy poached eggs with avocado on toast, a touch of spicy lime sauce and here you have a delicious combination. The balance between the sweetness of the eggs and the kick of the sauce is perfect.
- 2 fresh large eggs (fridge cold)
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into pieces
- 3 slices of bacon
- 1 slice toasted bread
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime (juice and zest)
- 1 tsp chopped kalamata olives
- 1 small chilli, finely chopped
- To make the spicy lime sauce, in a small bowl combine the lime juice and zest, chopped olives and chilli. Heat the oil in a small pan over low heat for 2 minutes and add the spicy lime mixture (reserve 1 tsp of the mixture in the bowl for later use) and remove the pan from heat.
- To poach the eggs, half fill a medium non-stick saucepan with water, add the vinegar and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce the heat so the water is just bubbling. Crack one egg into a small bowl and then gently transfer the egg to the simmering water. Repeat with the other egg, being careful to space them well apart. Poach eggs for 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon remove the eggs from the water and place them in the warm spicy lime sauce until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over medium-high heat, add the slices of bacon and cook for 2 minutes each side or until the edges look crispy. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Gently fold the avocado pieces into the reserved 1 tsp spicy lime sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Top the toasted slice of bread with the crispy bacon, avocado mixture and place the eggs on top of the avocado. Garnish with some sauce and it's ready o be served