Raspberry hot cross buns with mascarpone frosting cakes. Moist layers of hot cross buns covered in silky mascarpone frosting with fresh raspberries and lashes of chocolate ganache of top. Perfection!
This recipe was supposed to be about what to do with those….if any, hot cross buns 🙂
Right?! That’s what I have promised this week, in my post
But, instead it has developed to the reason why you should make hot cross buns! I know….just crazy! Like, you need a reason to bake these beauties. Well, now you have one 🙂
These raspberry hot cross buns with mascarpone frosting cakes are out of this world! I am telling you. The taste is beyond I could have imagined while preparing them. As I was going through the recipe I was just not that convinced that I will have a good enough recipe to share with you.
Everything changed with the first bite. How can something so simple and easy to make taste soooo good??? Moist layers of hot cross buns covered in silky mascarpone frosting with fresh raspberries and lashes of chocolate ganache of top. It cannot get better than this for me this week! I will never look the same at regular hot cross buns 🙂 Will always save some to make this dessert over and over again. It is a keeper!
Now, let me tell you how you can make these raspberry hot cross buns and mascarpone cakes in less than 15 minutes (if you already have hot cross buns leftovers and we don’t take into account refrigeration time)
Yes, you heard it right…just 15 minutes!
The initial recipe was calling for a springform baking pan but I have decided will be so much easier to make individual cakes using these mini springform pan set. I had 4 hot cross buns left and there are 4 mini pans in the set…just perfect. Easier to prep, store in the fridge and also serve. No need to try and cut the tricky big cake.
Once you cut into 3 layers each hot cross bun, you add the bottom layer to the pan, add a generous mascarpone frosting layer, add fresh raspberries, place middle bot cross bun layer, repeat the mascarpone layer with raspberries, add top hot cross bun layer and you’re done! Refrigerate overnight on pan on top of the other, pressing the whole cake to be sure all the layers are moist and all the flavors are combined.
Before serving, it takes maximum 5 minutes to make the chocolate ganache sauce. Serve them drizzled with sauce.
Hope you’re going to have a fabulous weekend!
- 4 Hot Cross Buns
- 2 tubs (8oz/ 227g each) mascarpone at room temperature
- 200ml heavy/ thickened cream
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 250g fresh raspberries
- Chocolate ganache sauce
- 1 cup milk chocolate morsels/ chips
- 120ml-150ml heavy/ thickened cream
- Line 4 springform mini pans with plastic wrap, allowing the sides to overhang.
- Using a bread knife split each hot cross bun crossways into 3 even slices. Place the bottom slice in each mini pan.
- In a medium bowl, add mascarpone, heavy cream and sugar. Gently whisk until combined and mixture thickens. Spoon a generous layer evenly over the bun bases. Add 4-6 fresh raspberries. Add middle slice over the raspberries and repeat the step adding mascarpone and fresh raspberries. Arrange bun tops on top. Fold the overhanging plastic wrap to cover. Place each mini pan on top of the other and place a small plate on top of the last one to press down the cakes. Place in the fridge overnight to set.
- Before serving make the chocolate ganache sauce. In a medium saucepan, combine the chocolate morsels/ chips and cream over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 mins or until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Remove the cakes from the fridge and the pans and place them on serving plates. Serve drizzled with chocolate ganache sauce
*This recipe was adapted from Coles Magazine, March 2016 issue.