Confession time: I have a sweet tooth. Especially when breakfast is involved. I cannot start my day without a freshly ground coffee mug and something sweet: a brownie, a slice or a madeleine. Anything sweet 🙂
I discovered bagels couple of years back when we moved to US and since then, we have developed a love-hate relationship. They are just perfect! for breakfast, lunch or just as a snack. I would usually go for raspberry spread on top… but not today. I have decided to change my whole breakfast routine. I am trying to cut back on sweets and add more healthier options to my plate. So, I switched the sweet spread with smoked salmon bagel and some cream cheese.
I tried this combination for the first time, some weeks ago when we were in Ottawa. If you ever find yourself looking for the perfect brekkie in Ottawa, that will not actually ruin your bank account, head to Fairmont Chateau Laurier. You will be double spoiled, delicious food and breathtaking interiors!
It takes just 10 minutes to put together the perfect Smoked Salmon Bagel. All you need is a bag of fresh baked bagels, some really good quality cream cheese and smoked salmon, red onion rings, some dill pickles and capers. I didn’t bake my bagels. Not this time. I just headed to my local bakery shop and looked for some soft ones. That’s it!
- 4 fresh bagels
- 1 pack cream cheese (8oz/ 227g)
- 8 smoked salmon slices
- 4 dill pickles thinly sliced
- 2-3 tbsp drained capers
- red onions thin sliced rings
- fresh dill
- Cut the bagels in half, sandwich style, through the center. Toast the inside of bagel halves until lightly golden brown.
- Start layering your bagel. First, spread cream cheese on each bagel half then add slices of dill pickles, followed by 2 smoked salmon slices for each bagel, add some red onion rings and scatter on top some drained capers and fresh dill
- Top with the other bagel half, press and serve.