These baked apples are stuffed with apple crisp filling, topped with oats crumble and drizzled with butterscotch sauce! You can add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on side to make it the perfect Fall dessert!
The smell of the best baked apple recipe I’ve made will probably get your neighbors to your doorstep. Just saying to make more:)
How to make Stuffed Baked Apples
Let’s start by choosing which apples are perfect for baking, because not all apples will bake that great and hold their shape, without getting mushy. I have used Pink Lady apples, my favorites. I love their firm, crisp flesh combined with the sweet, very little tangy flavor.
What types of apples are good for baking:
- Pink Lady
- Granny Smith
All these above mentioned apple types have more starch than other types, they are firmer and will hold up their shape when baked.
Now, let’s see how to bake apples in the oven
I like to bake apples the traditional way and have them cored, stuffed with topping in the middle and just pop them in the oven. Of course, if you prefer a higher topping quantity with your baked apples, you can halve them, add desired amount of topping and bake them this way.
Preheat oven to 350F/180C, prepare your apples (use an apple corer to remove the core from each apple and trim with a small knife a small part from the top of each apple. Place cored apples in a baking dish, add the filling and bake for almost 45 minutes.
Of course, the most exciting part when serving these Easy Apple Crisp Stuffed Baked Apples is pouring the thick butterscotch sauce over! It is a MUST! and the scoop of vanilla ice cream too 🙂
It is like having a piece of fall heaven on a plate!
- 4 Pink Lady apples
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup all purpose/ plain flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 50 g butter, chopped in small pieces or grated
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- Butterscotch Sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Use an apple corer to remove the core from each apple. Use a small sharp knife to trim a small part from the top of each apple. Cut 2 horizontal slits around each apple, but don’t cut all the way through. Place the apples in a baking dish.
- Place the oats, flour, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add the butter and use your fingertips to rub the butter into the oat mixture. Add the almonds and toss to combine. Spoon the mixture evenly among each apple. Sprinkle any extra crumble mixture over the top of each apple.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Meanwhile, to make the butterscotch sauce, combine the sugar and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Add cream and vanilla essence and whisk, allowing the mixture to boil for another 10 minutes or untilsauce thickens slightly.
- Divide the apple crisp stuffed baked apples among serving plates. Drizzle with the butterscotch sauce and serve immediately with the vanilla ice-cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Avoid searching for this Stuffed Baked Apple recipe later, save it now! Pin it here: