Back in March I couldn’t wait for spring to come and start to eat lighter. I was craving fresh food, salads and colors. Ha! Mid April I am making baked potatoes with veal ragu. Veal ragu recipe is for sure not in my light meals book, nor are baked potatoes. Not to mention all others dishes I’ve made lately 🙂 This month has definitely has been about rich, deep flavors and carbs.
But, this QUICK Veal Ragu recipe with baked potatoes will not disappoint you! Yes, quick. More specific, ONE HOUR! I am not kidding, in just one hour, you can dig in this amazingly rich, delicious dinner! You don’t have to wait a couple of hours to have ready a homemade Ragu recipe and for sure, you will not buy another jar from shops. I love its sweet with a rich flavored taste!
The secret of a hearty, rich Ragu recipe stays in the way you cook onion, carrot, celery, garlic and herbs cooked in olive oil or butter. This starting combination is called soffritto and it is the heart of an amazing, deep flavored ragu. It is important to cook the soffritto slowly to give your sauce enough sweetness and depth of flavor, so don’t rush it 🙂
I know Ragu is served with pasta but you’ll discover that baked potatoes or Jacket potatoes, as they are often called, are even better. At least from time to time. I am absolutely in love with this combination and has always been a crowd pleaser. I like to serve them in their aluminum foil, next to a glass of wine! Rustic all the way. And super delicious!
More Potato Recipes you may like:
- Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Chickpeas
- Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
- Potato Gratin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs 1 kg ground veal
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2-3 thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup peeled fresh tomatoes*
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 6 russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup sour cream, to serve
- chopped chives, to serve
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy based saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add carrots, celery and cook, stirring often for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Add veal and cook for 5 minutes. Add herbs and tomato paste and stir to combine. Add white wine and cook for another 2 minutes. Then add chicken stock, peeled and chopped tomatoes, sugar and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper then bring to the boil, then reduce heat, cover the saucepan and simmer, stirring occasionally for 45-50 minutes. Add more stock if needed **
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 370F/ 180C. Rub the washed potatoes with olive oil, sprinkle them with some salt and pepper, prick them with a fork and wrap them in foil. Bake them for almost 1 hour or until they are tender.
- Open the foil, make an incision in the middle of the potatoes, spreading a little bit the sides, top with veal ragu, sour cream and chopped chives and serve them warm.
- * You can use peeled tomatoes from a tin, if you prefer to replace the fresh tomatoes
- ** Be careful when adding more stock, you don't want your veal ragu to be too wet.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g