Best Beef and Guinness Pie you’ll ever taste! Rich, full of flavors and ready in 90 minutes!
We are talking pie today.
For so many reasons…. Next week is British Pie Week, say yes! to pies 🙂 St Patrick’s Day is just around the corner and a good, hearty pie is a must and mostly, because this Beef and Guinness pie it’s the best pie ever!
Tender chunks of delicious beef, button mushrooms, carrots, shallots simmering in a rich, reduced thick Guinness sauce and golden puff pastry.
And the sauce…OMG the sauce!
I am not a huge sauce fan, I don’t think anyone heard me talking about a sauce, like ever… but yesterday I drove everyone crazy…couldn’t stop talking about this amazing, rich Guinness sauce.
Best part about this pie, apart from the sauce, is that will cook in just 90 minutes.
Most recipes I have looked at require quite a long time (like 3-4 hours) to cook the beef. I didn’t have that many hours to cook my beef, at least I didn’t have them yesterday. Luckily, I didn’t have to wait for that long and my Beef and Guinness pie was just as delicious as it could be. The beef was really tender and all the flavors were just spot on!
I made individual size pies as I was just dying to try my new Robert Gordon‘s mini bakeware set I bough recently, but you can bake it as a big, whole pie if you prefer.
MORE ST PARICK’S DAY RECIPES
- 1½ lb beef stew meat, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose, regular flour
- salt and pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium shallots, chopped
- 1 lb 500 g small button mushrooms, stems removed
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 400 ml beef stock
- 2 cups Guinness
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over high heat in a pan. Place the stew beef cubes and flour in a large bowl, add salt and pepper and toss to coat throughly. Add the beef to the pan and cook in 2 batches until browned on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the pan. Add chopped shallots and sauté for 5 minutes. Add button mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the carrots, beef, beef stock, Guinness, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce to the pan, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to very low, cover and simmer for 60 minutes stirring occasionally. The meat should be tender and the sauce thick. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the stew among 6 large (5 inch/ 12 cm) ovenproof bakeware or place it in a large bakeware.
- Preheat your oven at 400F/ 200C.
- Roll out the puff pastry, not very thin and cut into 6 circles to fit over the bakeware or a large rectangular if using a bigger bakeware. Place rolled puff pastry over and press gently to seal. Brush over the top of the pie with beaten egg. Bake for almost 20 minutes or until golden,
- Serve warm with a Guinness glass on side!
Amount Per Serving Calories 458Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 143mgSodium 362mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 4gSugar 7gProtein 43g