There is no better way to finish a rustic Thanksgiving dinner than a Bourbon Cranberry Upside Down Cake. After you have indulged yourself in Roasted Stuffed Turkey breast with roasted carrots, asparagus and chimichurri sauce, a moist, not so sweet cake will finish the dinner just perfect. I know, pineapple upside down cake is usually the cake that steals the show but you haven’t tried yet the real star: juicy, little bit tart cranberries, caramelized in brown sugar and bourbon …just heaven!
This cake is unbelievably easy to make and requires just a little bit of preparation: caramelize the brown sugar in butter adding some bourbon at the end too, pour the mixture into a pan cake, spread cranberries on top of the sauce, on a single layer and add the cake mix. Bake for almost 50 minutes and that’s it! Just like that 🙂 Well you have to prepare the cake mixture too….so one more step…
Hope you’ll have a wonderful weekend, everyone!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3 tbsp bourbon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 &3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350F/ 170C degrees. Prepare your cake pan (I used a 9-inch one) and butter the bottom and the sides of it.
- Combine half of a butter stick and the brown sugar in a medium saucepan and once the butter is melted and the sugar is combined in well, let the mixture simmer for another 10-15. Remove from heat and drizzle with the bourbon. Pour the mixture into the prepared buttered cake pan. Spread the cranberries on top of the sugar butter mixture, creating a single layer. Try to get as many cranberries as possible, so you won't have gaps.Set aside.
- To prepare the cake mix, beat together in a large bowl the buttermilk, eggs, vegetable oil, sugar, white vinegar, vanilla extract, cinnamon and orange zest until the mixture is well combined. Gradually add 1/2 cup flour at one time, until finished and then add the baking soda.
- Pour the batter over the cranberries in the cake pan, and spread evenly. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for about 50 minutes (you can check is it's ready by having a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake to come out clean). If needed, cover loosely with aluminum foil if the cake is browning too quickly. Remove from the oven and let it sit for 15 minutes, then invert onto a platter and let cool completely.
- Serve it with some vanilla ice-cream on side or some fresh whipped cream.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g