This Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers recipe combines the spicy kick of buffalo chicken with the satisfying crunch of bell peppers for a meal that is both delicious and healthy. Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight dinner or an impressive dish to serve at your next gathering, these stuffed peppers are sure to please everyone.
If you’re in a dinner rut, these Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers are the perfect way to spice up your routine! They’re easy to make, healthy (perfect for low carb diet) and packed with flavor.
Just stuff some peppers with a mixture of shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, and cheese, add them to a baking dish and bake until they’re hot and bubbly. Serve with a side of ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping, and you’ve got a meal that everyone will love. That easy!
Why You Will Love Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers?
If you are a Buffalo Chicken lover, you don’t need to read the below, as you will already be salivating for this recipe. There are many reasons why we love buffalo chicken pinwheels and let’s not forget buffalo chicken quesadillas or gooey buffalo chicken dip! Really quick and easy to make, but more as appetizers or quick lunch options.
But what if will add the buffalo chicken mixture to a very filling and healthy at the same time dish?
- Baked stuffed peppers with buffalo chicken filling are fun and such an easy way to spice up your dinner routine. Buffalo chicken is a delicious and versatile flavor that goes great with a variety of dishes. Additionally, stuffed peppers are a healthy and nutritious option that are packed with protein and fiber.
- They’re perfect for meal prep and can be made ahead of time for an easy weeknight meal.
- The best part about these cheesy buffalo chicken peppers is that they’re super easy to make on busy weeknights. So if you’re looking for a new recipe to add to your weeknight rotation, give these a try!
- Fresh Bell Peppers cut into halves (any color – can be a mix of red bell pepper halves with some green bell peppers )
- Shredded chicken – you can use any leftover rotisserie chicken or you can quickly pan fry some chicken breasts
- Cream cheese – adds a creamy texture and balance out the spiciness of the buffalo sauce.
- Mozzarella cheese – shredded
- Buffalo sauce
- Ranch dressing
- Olive oil
- Green onion – thinly sliced
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- On a cutting board, cut bell peppers lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place the halved peppers skin side down onto a large non-stick skillet. sheet pan or a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a medium sized bowl, add shredded chicken, creme cheese, buffalo sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and sliced green onions and combine.
- Spoon the buffalo chicken mixture into the prepared halved bell peppers.
- Bake for 30 minutes in preheated 200F oven covered with aluminium foil. After 30 minutes, remove from oven, remove the foil and bake uncovered for another 15-20 minutes.
Scroll down to the recipe card for all details about ingredient quantities and step by step instructions
Variations and Substitutions for this Easy Dinner recipe
Here are a few variations for baked buffalo chicken stuffed peppers:
- You can add cooked rice to the buffalo chicken mixture before stuffing the peppers. This will add more texture and make the dish more filling. Make it Keto friendly, by using cauliflower rice instead of regular rice in the buffalo chicken mixture. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and bake until melted and bubbly.
- Vegetarian option – use a vegetarian chicken substitute (such as Beyond Chicken or Quorn) or make this vegan chicken recipe
- Add Blue Cheese to Stuffed Peppers: Mix blue cheese crumbles into the buffalo chicken mixture before stuffing the peppers. This will add a tangy and creamy flavor that complements the spiciness of the buffalo sauce.
Tips for Making Perfect Stuffed Peppers Every Time
Whether you like your sweet peppers or spicy, there are a few things you can do to ensure that they come out perfect every time. Here are our top tips:
1. Use only fresh peppers, any pre-packaged or frozen ones will not work for well for this recipe, as they will become mushy
2. Cut the peppers evenly. This will help them cook more evenly and prevent any one piece from being overcooked or undercooked.
3. Stuff the peppers generously. The buffalo chicken filling filling is what really makes these stuffed peppers so delicious, so don’t be shy with it!
4. Bake until the peppers are tender. You don’t want to overcook the peppers, otherwise they will lose their shape and become mushy. However, you also don’t want to undercook them, as this can result in a tough final product. Aim for somewhere in the middle – around 40 minutes should do the trick, if they have not been pre-cooked.
Should peppers be precooked before stuffing?
It really depends on the type and size of the peppers you are planning to fill up and bake. In general, smaller and thinner-skinned peppers like jalapenos or banana peppers do not need to be pre-cooked before stuffing because they will cook quickly in the oven or on the grill.
However, for larger peppers like bell peppers or poblano peppers, pre-cooking can be recommended to ensure they cook evenly and become tender without burning the filling and cutting down the cooking time. You can either blanch the peppers in boiling water for a few minutes until slightly softened before stuffing.
For this recipe, I had no time constraints, so I didn’t precook the peppers. I covered the baking tray for 30 minutes to be sure that the filling won’t get burned, nor dried, so the cooking time was in total 45 minutes.
If you want this recipe ready in less than 30 minutes, I definitely recommend pre-cooking the peppers before filling them and baking,
What to serve with Bakes Stuffed Peppers?
Stuffed peppers can be a satisfying meal on their own, but if you’re looking for a side dish to serve with them, here are some options:
- Salad: A fresh, green salad with a simple vinaigrette can be a great complement to stuffed peppers. You can use any combination of greens, such as mixed greens, arugula, or spinach, and add some chopped vegetables like tomatoes, cucumbers, or carrots.
- Warm Salad: This roasted sweet potato and rice salad would be a perfect addition.
- Rice or Quinoa: A side of rice or quinoa can add some texture and bulk to your meal. You can prepare them plain or add some herbs or spices for flavor.
- Roasted Vegetables: Roasted carrots, broccoli, or zucchini can be a great side dish. Simply toss the vegetables with some olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast in the oven until tender.
- Garlic Bread: A warm, garlicy bread can be a great way to soak up any extra sauce or juice from the stuffed peppers. You can make your own garlic bread by slicing a baguette or other bread, brushing with garlic butter, and toasting in the oven.
Serve these Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers with a side of ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping or a dollop of sour cream. Enjoy!
How to Store Baked Stuffed Peppers
To store leftover buffalo chicken stuffed peppers, you should first let them cool to room temperature. Once they have cooled down, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or place bell peppers in an airtight container to store them. Then, place them in the refrigerator where they can be stored for up to 3-4 days.
If you want to store the stuffed peppers for a longer period, you can freeze them. To do this, wrap each stuffed pepper individually in plastic wrap and then place them in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
When you’re ready to eat them, simply thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat them in the oven or microwave until they are heated through.
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers are a delicious and easy way to spice up your dinner routine. With just a few simple ingredients, you can create an impressive dish that will be sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. Whether you’re looking for something new to try or wanting to impress your friends and family with a unique meal, Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers is an easy recipe that should definitely be on your list!