We have been pretty lucky with the weather, here in Philly. Yes, sure, we have cold days but except one snowy day, just before Thanksgiving, everything is better than imagined for this time of the year. Would be nice though to have some snow for Christmas but hey! we can’t have everything….:)
Cold and grey days require warm and hearty soup! ..and I haven’t made a soup for quite a while now. So I did Chorizo Cannellini and Potato Creamy Soup for today! This is a very simple recipe to make if you are using canned beans. You could also use dried beans if you prefer, but you need to soak them overnight in cold water and cook them for 1 hour, the next day. So, I say..Yay!! to canned beans. Especially organic ones! Will save a lot of precious time for preparation. Once the vegetables and chorizo are cooked, all you need is a blender to puree the soup.
In less than 1 hour, you will have this creamy, smoky flavored soup, ready to be served and will cost you around $8 for 5 large bowls of soup. I like to serve my soup with warm, straight from the oven Ciabatta Rolls. No, I am not going through the whole process of making and baking them. I buy those half-baked ciabatta rolls from Trader’s Joe and pop them in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Ah! they are soooo amazing!
We all love chorizo and I know my hubby will be very happy to come home today to a big bowl of Chorizo Cannellini and Potato Creamy Soup .
Hope you will have a fabulous weekend! See u next week!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 chorizo sausages finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 large Red Potato peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tsp Smokey Paprika
- 2 x 15oz/ 425g cans Cannellini Beans drained
- 1 L Chicken Broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- rind finely grated from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves finely chopped
- Heat olive oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Add onion, potato and garlic to pan. Cook for 5 minutes or until onion is soft and potato is light golden. Sprinkle paprika over and stir well to combine. Cook for another minute. Add drained cannelloni beans, chicken broth, water and lemon juice to pan. Bring to the boil. Return half the chorizo to pan. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and puree soup with a hand blender. Season with salt and pepper. Combine lemon rind and parsley in a bowl.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls. Garnish with remaining chorizo and parsley mixture. Serve with ciabatta rolls.