Christmas is just around the corner, and what better way to celebrate the holiday season than with a festive dessert? One dessert that is sure to impress your guests is Christmas Jello Poke Cake.
This delicious cake is not only visually appealing with its red and green colors, but it is also easy to make with simple ingredients.
As the name suggests, a Christmas Jello Cake is a festive dessert that is perfect for the holiday season. It is a type of poke cake that is infused with pockets of Jello, which not only adds flavor but also gives the cake a colorful appearance.
The Jell-O also adds a fun and festive touch to the dessert, making it perfect for any holiday gathering.
Christmas Jello Cake is a great way to add some holiday cheer to your dessert table without spending hours in the kitchen. It is a simple yet impressive dessert that is sure to be a hit with both kids and adults alike.
More Popular Christmas Cake Recipes for you to try: Christmas Cranberry Bundt cake, Mini Homemade Panettone, Peppermint Meringue Cookies, German Christmas Cookies or the cutest Chocolate Christmas Tree Pinatas
- White cake mix prepared according to package directions and baked in two 8-inch round pans
- 2 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry (red) Jello
- 1 package (3 ounces) lime (green) Jello
- 1 tub (8 ounces) Cool Whip, thawed
- Sprinkles for garnish
How to Make Christmas Jello Poke Cake
1. Start by baking the cakes following the instructions on the package.
2. Once they’re done, use a fork or a chopstick to poke holes evenly all over the cakes.
3. Take two small mixing bowls and divide the water between them. In one bowl, add the strawberry Jello, and in the other, add the lime Jello. Stir each until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
4. Carefully pour the strawberry Jello over one of the cakes and the lime Jello over the second cake.
5. Now, cover both cakes and place them in the refrigerator. Allow them to chill for approximately 2-3 hours until they are completely set.
6. When the cakes have fully chilled, remove one of them from its pan and place it on a serving platter. Generously frost it with Cool Whip.
7. Then, position the second cake on top and frost the entire cake with the Cool Whip. If you’d like, you can add a festive touch by decorating with sprinkles.
8. To ensure the cake holds its shape and flavors meld together, it’s a good idea to chill it for at least 1 hour before serving. This will result in a delicious and visually appealing dessert for your enjoyment.
How to store Jello Poke Cake
- Consume Within a Few Days: While the cake can be stored for a few days in the refrigerator, it’s best when enjoyed within 2-3 days of making. The longer it sits, the more the Jello may soften, and the texture can change.
- Use an Airtight Container: If you have an airtight cake container or a large airtight container, it can be an excellent choice for storing the cake. Ensure the container is clean and dry before placing the cake inside.
- Keep it Cold: The Christmas Jello Poke Cake should be kept refrigerated at all times, especially if it’s made with perishable ingredients like Cool Whip or if you live in a warm climate. The refrigerator will maintain the cake’s texture and prevent spoilage.
- Freezing: If you need to store the cake for an extended period, you can freeze it. Wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap, and then place it in an airtight container. When you’re ready to enjoy it, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator. Keep in mind that the texture may be slightly different after freezing.
Tips and Tricks for best Jello Poke Cake
- Prepare the Cake Properly: Follow the cake mix instructions precisely. Ensure the cake is baked and cooled fully before poking holes in it. A well-baked cake will hold up better when the Jello is poured.
- Uniform Hole Poking: Use a fork or a chopstick to poke holes in the cake evenly. Make sure the holes go all the way through to allow the Jello to penetrate the entire cake.
- Use Boiling Water: When dissolving the Jello, use boiling water as specified in the package instructions. This ensures the Jello dissolves completely and sets properly.
- Chill Before Frosting: Refrigerate the cake with the Jello for at least a few hours or overnight to allow the Jello to set and the flavors to meld. This step is crucial for a moist and flavorful cake.
- Frost Gently: When frosting the cake, be gentle to avoid breaking the Jello layer underneath. Use Cool Whip or whipped cream to add a light, fluffy topping.
- Serve Chilled: Jello poke cakes are best when served cold, straight from the refrigerator. The chilled temperature enhances the flavors and texture.
Christmas Jello Poke Cake is a delicious dessert that is perfect for the holiday season. This cake recipe is easy to make and requires minimal ingredients.
The use of red Jell-O in this cake recipe gives it a vibrant and eye-catching appearance that is perfect for Christmas. This cake is sure to impress your guests and make a great addition to any holiday party or gathering.
Overall, this delicious dessert is perfect for those who love Jell-O cake and want to add a festive touch to their holiday celebrations. Whether you are a fan of delicious desserts or simply looking for a fun and easy way to celebrate the season, Christmas Jello Poke Cake is a must-try recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Jello cake made of?
Jello cake is made of a boxed cake mix, Jello gelatin, and Cool Whip or whipped cream. The cake mix is baked according to the instructions on the box, and then holes are poked into the cake with a fork or skewer.
The Jello is mixed with boiling water and poured over the cake, allowing the liquid to seep into the holes. The cake is then chilled in the refrigerator until the Jello sets. Finally, the cake is topped with whipped cream or Cool Whip.
When did Jello cake come out?
Jello cake has been around since the 1950s. It became popular in the United States during the 1960s and 1970s, and it has remained a favorite dessert for many families during the holiday season.
What are some variations of Jello cake?
There are many variations of Jello cake. You can use different flavors of Jello, such as strawberry, raspberry, or lime, to create a colorful and flavorful cake.
You can also use different types of cake mix, such as white, yellow, or chocolate, to create a unique flavor and texture. Finally, you can add fresh fruit or other toppings to your Jello cake for added flavor and texture.