I was really dying to try plantain! You know, how we just save recipes or just add them on Pinterest and you never get to actually cook them…always saving for later. Sometimes, you just need to say…that’s it, no more excuses, today I am going to make it! Well, I was helped also by the fact that Colombia won 🙂 and I had to make it. So I made Colombian Plantain Nachos.
But..nachos, from green bananas? Hm…not quite whatI had in my mind when thinking of trying plantains for the first time. So, a little..ok, not a little…reticent, I had decided to give them a go! OMG! The best nachos I have ever had! Now, seriously, I will not have others after tasting these.
I eat the whole dish….that good it was! In fact I was shooting it and adjusting it, in the same time. Tomorrow I have to make it again, for my daughter, this time. Today she was a little bit late and there were no leftovers. Quick, easy to make and super tasty, this will be a crowd pleaser, for sure. And healthy……did I mention this?
- 3 green plantains
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup spring onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1/4 fresh cilantro chopped
- guacamole to serve on side
- First peel the plantains and using a sharp knife, slice the plantains, the thinner the better.
- Fill a large skillet with enough vegetable oil to completely cover the plantain chips. Fry the plantains in the hot oil, turning occasionally until brown on both sides. Drain on paper towel to absorb excess oil. Sprinkle with salt to taste and transfer to a plate.
- To assemble the nachos: Place a single layer of plantain chips on the bottom of an oven safe tray. Sprinkle some of the cheddar and Monterey jack cheese on top. Place diced spring onion on top of the cheese. Repeat with the remaining plantain chips, cheese and onions to create more layers.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake in oven for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and sprinkle diced tomatoes, olives and cilantro on top. Serve with guacamole on the side.