There is no better way to enjoy warm days than a light, refreshing lunch…at least for the next couple of days, we are lucky to still call it summer! Today, I was thinking of a light lunch but a little bit sophisticated too… and all I had in my head was crab…really wanted a crab dish! I’ll tell you…why:)…We had some friends over for dinner a couple of nights ago and they were raving about their holiday in Maine and of course, about the beautiful, fresh crabs they had over there. That’s all I needed…I am a big crabmeat lover!
You know how we all save recipes from magazines and Pinterest to do them later, well….sometimes later happens. I think I have saved this recipes out of a Delicious magazine in 2011…my God! 3 years ago… but hey! gets to be made today! So I’ve made Crab and Avocado with Pink Grapefruit Salad.
This is a beautiful, delicate salad served with a pink grapefruit dressing made of pink grapefruit juice, extra virgin olive oil and a little bit of thyme. The balance of the flavors combined is amazing! Was I still hungry after having this lunch?…No! Goes perfectly served with toasted ciabatta on side 🙂
- 16 oz/ 400gr. fresh lump crab meat, hand picked
- 1 pink grapefruit, skin and white pith removed
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 long red chillies, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp creme fraiche
- juice of 1/2 pink grapefruit
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt, pepper
- 1/4 tsp fresh thyme
- Place the already steam cooked crabmeat in a strain and allow to sit 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, start the dressing, placing the grapefruit juice in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 4-5 minutes until reduced by two-thirds. Let it cool to get to the room temperature. When ready, add the extra virgin oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly, until combined. Add the fresh thyme too. Segment the other half of pink grapefruit and cut the flesh in small squares. Place them in a bowl and gently toss some dressing over them and set aside.
- Place the avocado and lime juice in a food processor and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in the oil. Transfer to a small bowl and cover the surface closely with plastic wrap to prevent the avocado puree from discoloring. Refrigerate until required.
- Place crab, chili, spring onion and creme fraiche in a bowl and stir to combine. Season and set aside.
- To serve, place a 3inch/ 7cm round pastry cutter on each serving plate and fill with avocado puree, smoothing the surface with the back of a spoon. Carefully remove the ring. Pile the crab meat mixture on top, then the pink grapefruit salad. Drizzle over some dressing and serve with toasted ciabatta.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g