There is no better way to enjoy warm days than a light, refreshing lunch…at least for the next couple of days, we are lucky to still call it summer! Today, I was thinking of a light lunch but a little bit sophisticated too… and all I had in my head was crab…really wanted a crab dish! I’ll tell you…why:)…We had some friends over for dinner a couple of nights ago and they were raving about their holiday in Maine and of course, about the beautiful, fresh crabs they had over there. That’s all I needed…I am a big crabmeat lover!
You know how we all save recipes from magazines and Pinterest to do them later, well….sometimes later happens. I think I have saved this recipes out of a Delicious magazine in 2011…my God! 3 years ago… but hey! gets to be made today! So I’ve made Crab and Avocado with Pink Grapefruit Salad.
This is a beautiful, delicate salad served with a pink grapefruit dressing made of pink grapefruit juice, extra virgin olive oil and a little bit of thyme. The balance of the flavors combined is amazing! Was I still hungry after having this lunch?…No! Goes perfectly served with toasted ciabatta on side 🙂
- 16 oz/ 400gr. fresh lump crab meat, hand picked
- 1 pink grapefruit, skin and white pith removed
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 long red chillies, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp creme fraiche
- juice of 1/2 pink grapefruit
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt, pepper
- 1/4 tsp fresh thyme
- Place the already steam cooked crabmeat in a strain and allow to sit 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, start the dressing, placing the grapefruit juice in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 4-5 minutes until reduced by two-thirds. Let it cool to get to the room temperature. When ready, add the extra virgin oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly, until combined. Add the fresh thyme too. Segment the other half of pink grapefruit and cut the flesh in small squares. Place them in a bowl and gently toss some dressing over them and set aside.
- Place the avocado and lime juice in a food processor and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in the oil. Transfer to a small bowl and cover the surface closely with plastic wrap to prevent the avocado puree from discoloring. Refrigerate until required.
- Place crab, chili, spring onion and creme fraiche in a bowl and stir to combine. Season and set aside.
- To serve, place a 3inch/ 7cm round pastry cutter on each serving plate and fill with avocado puree, smoothing the surface with the back of a spoon. Carefully remove the ring. Pile the crab meat mixture on top, then the pink grapefruit salad. Drizzle over some dressing and serve with toasted ciabatta.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g