This easy homemade Bourbon Barbecue Sauce tastes amazing! Smoky, a bit sweet and tangy in the same time, goes perfectly with your steaks, ribs, pulled pork, chicken wings or your burger!
You know I am a big fan of cooking from scratch as much as I can. Have bought a top reviewed barbecue sauce recently and although it tasted great, I was surprised with the amount of sugar that was packed in it.
Don’t know why I am so surprised, everything is loaded with sugar these days. Craving some good bourbon barbecue sauce without the unnecessary load of sugar, have decided to try and make my own homemade barbecue sauce.
Best Homemade Bourbon BBQ Sauce EVER!
It tastes amazing! Smokey from adding the bourbon and a touch of adobo (sorry cannot help myself from adding it everywhere…) a bit sweet and tangy in the same time, this easy bourbon BBQ sauce recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes!
You only need 7 ingredients to make Bourbon BBQ Sauce at home:
Honey/ Brown Sugar
Tomato Sauce/ Passata
Adobo sauce (you can find Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce in the Mexican ingredient section of your local supermarket)
How to make homemade bourbon barbecue sauce?
It’s super easy! Add all ingredients in a medium wide saucepan (wider the saucepan, faster eliminates the liquid and becomes thicker) and cook stirring occasionally. You will also need a lid to add partway between stirrings because the sauce will sputter.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2/3 cup apple juice
- 1 cup tomato sauce/ passata
- 1/2 cup Bourbon Whiskey
- 3 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Adobo Sauce
- 1 pinch of salt
- In a medium wide saucepan, whisk together all ingredients: brown sugar, honey, apple juice, tomato sauce, bourbon, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire Sauce, Adobo Sauce to combine well. Place the saucepan on stovetop on medium-high heat and wait till it starts to boil. As soon as it starts to boil, turn the heat to medium-low and bring the sauce to a simmer. Add a partway lid over the saucepan to prevent sputter.
- Cook the sauce for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. When the sauce is thick enough, remove from heat and set aside to cool down. Season with a pinch of salt.
This Bourbon BBQ Sauce can be stored for up to 10 days in a closed jar in the fridge. You can make a bigger batch and have it canned in individual jars for all year use.
This recipe will make about 2 cups of Bourbon BBQ sauce. It can be stored for up to 10 days in a closed jar in the fridge. You can make a bigger batch and have it canned in individual jars for all year use. You can use this homemade Bourbon Barbecue Sauce for anything meat: steaks, pulled pork, ribs, chicken or any recipe that calls for barbecue sauce.