Quick, fresh and healthy Greek Chicken with CousCous and homemade Tzatziki recipe!
Ah! Cannot believe is already September and autumn is officially here. I have been inspired by Greek flavors all summer, cooking a lot of Greek dishes, as you can probably guessed just from my last recipes posted here. I could say I was quite obsessed with fresh Mediterranean flavors and because this week still feels very much like summer here, another Greek recipe won’t hurt anyone 🙂
I was watching over the weekend, one of Jamie Oliver’s episodes from his 15 Minutes Meals series and he was cooking this fantastic, juicy Greek chicken recipe. I absolutely loved the combo of grilled chicken with couscous and fresh homemade Tzatziki and I decided to make it this week.
I have changed a little bit Jamie’s original recipe because I believe less is more sometimes, especially when we talk flavors. He used a lot of all spice for chicken in his recipe and I am not such a big fan of this seasoning. It is way too strong for my taste, so overpowering and I really wanted the chicken to have the traditional Greek seasoning: salt, black pepper and dried oregano. I have also added some fresh garlic to my homemade tzatziki. That’s how I like mine. If you don’t want to add it, the original recipe did not include it and I think still tastes ok.
Hope you will enjoy this quick, fresh and healthy recipe! We have really loved it :)!
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon feta cheese
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 lemon
- olive oil
- ½ fresh cucumber
- 1 cup fat-free yoghurt
- ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- On a large sheet of baking paper, toss the chicken with salt, pepper, the oregano and finely grated lemon zest. Fold over the paper, then bash and flatten the chicken with a rolling pin. Add it to the frying pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, turning after 4 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
- Using a grater, coarsely grate the cucumber into a bowl. Sprinkle it with a good pinch of salt, then squeeze and scrunch with clean hands to get rid of the excess salty water. Pop it back in the bowl adding the yoghurt, juice of ½ a lemon and a pinch of pepper, finely chopped mint, then mix together.
- Put 1 mug of couscous and 2 mugs of boiling water into a bowl with a pinch of salt and cover. Remove the stalk and seeds from the chilli, then pulse in the processor with the trimmed spring onions and the dill until finely chopped. Fluff up and scatter over a tray the couscous, add the chili mixture, toss well and season to taste.
- Move the cooked chicken to a board, slice it up, then lay it around/ over the couscous. Crumble over feta cheese and serve with the fresh tzatziki.
This recipe is adapted from Jamie Oliver - 15 minutes series.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g