Today we are traveling to Greece, one of my favorite places in the whole wide world! For the Greeks, food is a ritual, just like in Italy. It is all about that experience shared with family and friends. It is about love and good food 🙂 The Greeks love affair with food has started long time ago and their food is a reflexion of their warmth and generosity.
Greek food is fresh, vibrant, full of flavors, simple but very nutritional in the same time. The climate is just perfect for growing olive and lemon trees and these 2 staple ingredients are the foundation of the Greek cuisine.The diversity is overwhelming. Have a look just to the cheese: Kasseri, Kefalograviera, Kefalotyri, Fetta, Haloumi…each and every type of cheese is an icon in Greek cuisine. There is a long list with traditional ingredients and dishes from Greece…too long.
Today, I am cooking a starter, Greek Fried Chilli Prawns with Garlic and Lemon Yogurt. I would say the perfect, fresh summery starter. Light and refreshing dip on the side and ready in minutes. It is a keeper for me 🙂
- 1 pound 500gr small uncooked prawns
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground chili
- vegetable oil for frying
- 3/4 cup greek-style yogurt
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Combine all the ingredients and make the Garlic and Lemon Yogurt and set in the fridge.
- Heat vegetable oil in medium saucepan or wok. Toss unshelled prawns in combined flour and chili, shake away the excess.
- Deep fry the prawns, in batches, until browned lightly. Drain on paper towels. Season with salt and a little extra ground chili to taste. Serve with lemon wedges and the yogurt.
This recipe is from Australian Women's Weekly magazine - Greek cooking