I have fallen in love with the Greek cuisine long time ago. I love its freshness, simplicity and those incredible flavors, all at the same time. Today I want to share with you what it has been a huge hit in our house this summer, so far.. A delicious, healthy Greek Pizza with prawns and caramelized onions, made from scratch using the Greek Pita Bread recipe I have made during the World Cup marathon.
You can use my pitta bread recipe if you have some spare time or you can use Greek pitta breads from shops.
When you think of Greek food, what comes first in your mind?….
Eggplants…and maybe a cold Mythos beer???
This Greek Pizza with prawns and caramelized onions recipe includes feta cheese, prawns, onions, fresh herbs, paprika and yoghurt. You cannot go more lighter on a pizza, right?
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 4 small red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp honey
- 4 small pita breads
- 100 g Greek feta cheese, crumbled
- 16 medium green prawns, shells removed and deveined
- ½ tsp hot paprika
- 2 tsp Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 tbsp dill, chopped
- salt and black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-size pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the lid, reduce heat to low and continue to cook, stirring regularly, for 20 minutes until golden. Add the honey, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 3–4 minutes until caramelised.
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Place the pita breads on 2 oven trays lined with baking paper and scatter over the cheese. Spread the caramelised onion on top of the cheese. Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes until the cheese begins to bubble. Remove from the oven and divide the prawns among the pita breads. Sprinkle with paprika and season to taste. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and bake for 10 minutes until the prawns are just cooked.
- To serve with a teaspoon of yoghurt in the centre of each pita and sprinkle over the dill. Serve immediately.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g