I am so lucky to have my best friend, Susan sharing with me some special and unique recipes! I just love when she calls me to come over and make one of her mum’s traditional recipes. I know, I am in for a very special treat. Last time, we made homemade Kifli cookies for Christmas and last week we made Hungarian Pasta and Cabbage recipe (Krautfleckerl)
This pasta and cabbage recipe has its roots back in Hungary but it is as popular in Austria and Germany too. The original Krautfleckerl recipe was made with homemade thick square pieces of pasta (Fleckerl) but we have used regular pasta (penne) bought from store this time 🙂 It is so much easier when you’re in a hurry!
It is a very simple and cheap recipe to make (you only need 5 ingredients) BUT soooooo GOOD! The whole secret is the peppery sautéed cabbage…Honestly, never thought such a simple recipe can taste so great! I can definitely see myself serving this as a side dish at a barbecue party or just a light lunch.
- 1 medium cabbage head, finely shredded or grated
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 pack, 13.25 oz/ 375g pasta (penne)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons pepper
- Cook pasta as per pack instructions, al dente. When ready, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet melt butter and add olive oil too over medium heat. Add shredded cabbage to the pan, salt and pepper and cook on medium heat covered, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes until it softens and starts to get brownish a bit. Reduce heat to low and sauté for another 10 minutes. Turn off heat and add drained pasta to the pan. Toss to combine.
- Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream too (if preferred)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g