Upgrade Your Summer BBQ with this Zesty Italian Pasta Salad with Salami
Summer is here and there is no better way to celebrate than with a delicious BBQ. But let’s be honest, we are a bit over the same old burgers and hotdogs. That’s why I am so excited to share this zesty Italian pasta salad with salami recipe that will take your backyard cookout from ordinary to crazy good. Packed with bold flavors, colorful fresh veggies, and mouthwatering slices of salami, this dish is sure to be a hit among your friends and family. So fire up the grill and get ready to upgrade your summer BBQ game, I’ve got you covered!
Cold pasta recipes are so popular for so many reasons! So easy to make, cold pasta dishes travel well and usually don’t require constant chilling, so most of them will sit out on a buffet table without a problem. Check out Best Cold Pasta Salads Ideas!
When it comes to summer BBQs, nothing says “upgrade” quite like a cold pasta salad recipe with salami. This dish is perfect for feeding a crowd, and can be easily customized to your taste.
If you’re looking for a flavorful and hearty pasta salad to upgrade your summer BBQ, this zesty Italian pasta salad with salami is the perfect dish. Made with a variety of colorful vegetables, flavorful herbs, and salty salami, this salad is sure to be a hit with your guests.
To make this Italian pasta salad, you’ll need:
- dried Bow Tie pasta (rotini pasta or even small shells)
- red onion, cut into thin slices
- cherry (grape) tomatoes, halved
- English cucumber, chopped
- fresh mozzarella pearls
- salami slices, cut into thin strips – your favorite type of hard salami that is made from beef and pork and has a dense, chewy texture
- kalamata olives or black olives, halved
- fresh parsley or basil
Zesty Italian Dressing Ingredients
- olive oil
- apple cider vinegar
- Italian seasoning (dried herb mix)
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Optional: mix 1 tablespoon of shredded Parmesan Cheese
How to Make the Italian Cold Pasta Salad
This easy Italian pasta salad with homemade Italian dressing is the perfect dish to bring to a family gathering or BBQ. It’s a cold salad, so it’s perfect for hot summer days, and the dressing goes perfectly with the fresh veggies. The best part about this dish is that it can be made ahead of time, so you don’t have to worry about last-minute preparations.
- Start by preparing the dressing. In a small mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Italian seasoning, sugar, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large pot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and preferred pasta. Cook the pasta according to the package directions, little bit al dente. As soon as the pasta is cooked, drain it into a colander. Run cold water over the pasta for 1-2 minutes to cool it rapidly.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked tender pasta with 1/2 cup Italian dressing, Then gently mix in the sliced red onion, halved cherry tomatoes, chopped cucumber, mozzarella balls, sliced salami, halved olives, and chopped parsley. Add the remaining salad dressing and stir until the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Cover the salad and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes before serving. This will allow the flavors to meld together.
Scroll down to the recipe card for all ingredients/ quantities and instructions on how to make this easy recipe!
Variations of the Classic Italian Pasta Salad Recipe
This zesty Italian pasta salad is a great way to upgrade your summer BBQ. It’s packed with flavor from the salami, olives, and pepperoni, and it’s easy to make ahead of time. You can also customize the salad to your liking by adding or removing ingredients. Here are some variations of the recipe:
- If you want a lighter salad, use less salami and add more vegetables like tomatoes, cucumbers, or bell peppers.
- If you are looking for a more filling pasta salad, add more meat and/ or canned beans.
- If you’re looking for more of a spicy kick, add some pepperoni or use a spicier variety of salami or simply add some red pepper flakes on top before serving it
- To make it vegetarian or vegan, simply omit the meat and cheese or use plant-based replacements and add more fresh vegetables, like green peppers, red peppers, marinaded artichoke hearts, etc
- To make it gluten-free, it’s really easy – use gluten-free pasta!
How to store the salad
To store Italian pasta salad with salami, just follow these simple steps:
- Transfer the pasta salad to an airtight container. Make sure the container is clean and dry.
- If the pasta salad has been sitting out at room temperature for more than 2 hours, it should be refrigerated immediately. Bacteria can grow rapidly at room temperature, and you don’t want to risk food poisoning.
- If you’re planning to store the pasta salad for more than a day, remove the salami from the salad and store it separately. Salami tends to release oil, which can make the pasta salad soggy over time. Plus, the salami may not stay fresh as long as the rest of the salad.
- Store the pasta salad in the refrigerator for maximum 3 days. When you’re ready to serve it again, give it a good stir and add any additional dressing or seasoning if needed.
Summer BBQs are always perfect for family gatherings! This easy pasta salad is sure to be a hit at your next summer gathering! Packed with salami, black olives, tomatoes, herbs and fresh mozzarella cheese, this dish has all of the flavors of Italy in one bowl that will have everyone asking for seconds. You can easily customize it with different ingredients or make it as simple as you like – either way, you’ll have the perfect side dish or main course that will delight your guests. So why not give it a try and upgrade your Summer BBQ with one of the best pasta salad recipes I have ever tried!