Chicken Chilaquiles – traditional Mexican style casserole with tortilla chips, red chile sauce and shredded chicken
Mexican Chicken Chilaquiles Recipe
I have been on a Mexican food fiesta mood for the last couple of weeks and I am loving it!
I remember some years ago Mexican cuisine meant nothing more than burritos, guacamole and beans to me 🙁 Very. Very. Sad. Funny thing, going back 10-12 years…. I was a mess in the kitchen. A total mess. The one who used to open a jar of Uncle Bens sour and sweet sauce to make a dish. That bad! and now I am dreaming of going to Food of the Gods Festival in Oaxaca, Mexico and learn more about chilies, chocolate, spices, exotic fruits and of course, coffee. It is right there on top of my food bucket list. And it is going to happen!
Mexican food has bold flavors, great textures and vibrant looking. If you are trying a Mexican soup or go for a street food dish like quesadillas or tostadas, you will always find these 3 key ingredients that will never disappoint.
For today, I made Chicken Chilaquiles. An incredibly easy weeknight dinner recipe or a Cinco de Mayo quick crowd pleaser dish. This traditional Mexican style casserole is a mixture of tortilla chips, rich homemade red chile sauce, shredded chicken, topped with thinly sliced radishes, spring onion and a big dollop of sour cream.
Traditional chilaquiles recipes are made with fried tortilla chips, stirred in a hearty tomato sauce and topped with chicken, eggs and some cheese. I decided to stay on a lighter version this time and substitute the fried tortilla chips for a healthier version, baked ones.
The whole secret of this chicken chilaquiles recipe is in the sauce. A rich, full of Mexican flavors, red chile homemade sauce. Don’t worry, it comes together so fast… in just 10 minutes!
More Mexican Recipes you may want to try!
- Huevos Rancheros
- Mexican Tortilla Soup
- Mexican Seafood Soup
- Chipotle Shrimp & Corn Tostadas
- Mexican Caldo Tlalpeno Soup
- Pina Colada Cake
- Chorizo and Shrimp Quesadillas
- Red Chile Sauce
- 1 large can, 28oz fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeds removed and roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- 3 chicken breasts
- 6 oz baked corn tortilla chips
- 5-6 fresh radishes
- sour cream
- lime wedges
- To make the sauce, add all ingredients in the sauce part in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the sauce and cook, partially covered for 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook chicken breast in another pan for 4 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and allow to cool down a little before shredding the meat.
- Stir in the sauce the shredded chicken and tortilla chips, give it o good stir and remove from heat. Serve immediately topped with thin sliced radishes, green onion and sour cream.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g