Perfect Meatless Monday recipe, Mexican vegetarian tortilla soup, served with fresh avocado and tomato salsa and crispy baked tortillas!
Mexican tortilla soup with avocado and tomato salsa recipe
Happy Monday everyone!
Not just any Monday. The one after Super Bowl. When we finally move on from finger food, popcorn and nachos and get along with our normal routine 🙂 oh! and we talk about commercials. I really liked the Doritos one, as hilarious as it was. Which one was your favorite?
Today I am making a big batch of Mexican vegetarian tortilla soup, served with fresh avocado and tomato salsa and crispy baked tortillas.
Almost everyone that I know adores Mexican food. What’s not to love about it?! Fresh, bright ingredients. Flavor packed sauces and salsas and meats. But no meats today.
This Mexican tortilla soup with avocado and tomato salsa is a quick (under 30 minutes) and easy vegetarian version of Caldo Tlalpeno soup. No, I am not trying to embrace a Meatless Monday. It is just a coincidence 🙂
The recipe is pretty easy: some chopping to do (onion, garlic, jalapeño peppers), spicy the things up with some smoked paprika and cumin, add a large can of diced tomatoes and some vegetable stock, black beans for protein and flavor and there you have it!
I had a fire-roasted diced tomatoes large tin (28oz/ 800g) already in my pantry and I have to say, together with smoked paprika and cumin, made a perfectly balanced Mexican soup! My version was quite spicy 🙂 I have used 3 jalapeño peppers, ’cause that’s how we like it. If you are not such a big fan of really spicy food add one, maximum two jalapeño peppers.
Mexican Tortilla Soup is the perfect make-ahead meal for easy lunches and dinners!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 large, 28oz/ 800g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 regular tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen sweetcorn
- salt and pepper
- sour cream and lime wedges to serve
- Tortilla Chips
- 3-4 soft flour tortillas
- olive oil to brush
- 2 large ripe avocados
- olive oil
- juice from 2 limes
- fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped tomatoes from the tin
- salt and pepper
- In a large, deep saucepan heat olive oil. Add chopped onion and garlic and sauté on low medium heat until they become very soft, for almost 10 minutes. Add chopped jalapeño peppers to the saucepan, together with smoked paprika and cumin. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes (on't forget to reserve 1 tablespoon for salsa) and bring to a simmer. Add vegetable stock and boil for 15 minutes. Add drained beans and sweetcorn and cook for another 5 minutes.Turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 400F/ 200C. Line up a tray with baking paper and cut flour tortillas into small triangles. Brush both sides of tortillas with olive oil and place them on the baking tray in a single layer. Bake for 4-5 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- Make your fresh salsa. Cut avocados in small cubes and add them to a bowl with some olive oil, lime juice, chopped coriander and some chopped tomatoes reserved from the tin and mix. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle warm soup into bowls and serve with salsa, sour cream and crispy tortillas.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g