How to make the perfect mushroom and zucchini quiche quick and perfect every time? So easy!
I guess you’ll jump and think..Oh! Quiche? It is so outdated, come on! Well, surprise, surprise, this classic dish is making its comeback on the trendy cafes and bakeries menus everywhere. Good food should not be about fashion…It already is a very much loved dish in Australia and now it is coming back here is US too.
So, what makes quiche such an amazing dish? Its flaky crust, savory custard, the mixture of gold and brown top? Everything.. it is such a perfect comfort food! Quiche is extremely versatile and can be adjusted to suit everyone’s preference. Whether you are baking them for a brunch, as elegant appetizers for a dinner party or just for a lunch box, as a healthy meal for your child, a wood quiche will always be a success. They are good hot, at room temperature or cold. How great is this?!
Today I baked a mushroom and zucchini quiche. I used to make quiche quite often when we were in Australia and then I kinda stopped when we moved to US. Have no idea why… While I was trying to plan what new food to include in my daughter’s lunch box I remembered how much we, all loved quiche.
There are a couple of things I learned that will make your quiche perfect, each and every time. First and the most important is the crust. You want to have an eggy, rich, more like a tart crust. I make mine in a food processor just to be sure I am not going to overwork the dough and process until it is starting to form a ball. Try and keep the butter and water very cold and cut the butter into small cubes, the dough will be less likely to get overworked this way.
The filling should be precooked, sauté your chosen vegetables, bacon, etc before adding them to the crust. You can add whatever is on hand or in season. If you’re using vegetables that will add a lot of moisture, like mushrooms and zucchini, be sure to remove as possible the juice by draining after you sautéed them.
Once it is baked, the quiche can be refrigerated for a couple of days and reheated later. But, please!! don’t use the microwave!!! Your quiche will transform into a rubbery dish. Instead, add it on a baking sheet and reheat it in the oven at 350F/ 180C for 5-10 minutes. You can always make more dough and freeze it for a month. Allow to thaw in the fridge and remove it with 15 minutes before rolling it.
Serve it with a salad on side!
- Quiche Crust
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ice water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced green zucchini
- To make the dough in a food processor, combine the flour, salt, and butter in the processor and process until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 10 seconds. With the machine running, add the ice water through the feed tube and pulse quickly 5 or 6 times, or until the dough comes together and starts forming a ball. Flatten the ball into a disk, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven at 375F/ 190C. On lightly floured surface, roll the dough into 11-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch pie plate and trim off excess dough. Tuck edge of dough under and line it with baking paper or foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake 15 minutes. Remove baking paper and weights. Bake another 10 to 15 minutes, or until edge is golden and bottom is no longer raw. Remove from over and allow to cool slightly on side.
- To make the custard: Whisk together eggs, milk, cheese, salt and pepper.
- In medium pan, heat olive oil and add sliced mushrooms and zucchini. Cook 10 minutes, or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from stovetop and stir it into custard. Pour into the prepared crust and bake in the oven 30 to 40 minutes or until center is just set. Cool 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This recipe is adapted. Original recipe Emeril Lagasse
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g