Creamy baked rice, juicy mushrooms and moist chicken breasts make this super easy one pan recipe healthy and satisfying.
Happy New Year everyone!
Hope you had an amazing time rolling into the New Year! We certainly did.
Now, getting back to my kitchen, I am planning a month filled with hearty, comfort food recipes. Sorry, I don’t believe in detox recipes in January but I do believe in balanced and honest homemade comfort food. If you’re looking for easy one pot recipes, this month you’ll have plenty to choose from.
I am starting with this one pan mushroom chicken with rice recipe. Creamy baked rice, meaty mushrooms and moist chicken breasts make this quick and super easy one pan recipe healthy and satisfying.
I love rice baked in the oven! Gets an incredible flavor when you add some chicken on top and all those delicious juices get soaked up by the rice. Crazy good!
If you love one pan dishes you should invest in a great pan. Trust me, it totally worth the money and there are so many great options in the market under a $100. I love my Calphalon hard-adonized pan set I’ve bought last year. It was the best deal for 2 pans (10inch $12 inch) at this great quality. It still is a great deal 🙂 If you prefer enameled cast iron pans, Lodge and Tramontina pans are quite affordable. That blue Tramontina one is on my wish list 🙂
There is nothing tricky about this recipe. First, I seared the chicken in some melted butter, then sautéed the mushrooms, shallots (if you don’t have any on hand, you can use red onions instead), added the rice and the sauce, placed back the chicken breast on top and into the oven!
What really makes this one pan mushroom chicken with rice recipe so special is the sauce! A really good chicken broth simmered with shallots and a bit of heavy cream to the end. If you have any homemade chicken broth run to the pantry and get it. If you don’t, you can use my favorite one. Works just great each and every time.
- 1 stick, 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 skinned and boned chicken breasts halves
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound 500g Cremini/ Swiss brown mushrooms
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth/stock
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F/ 180C. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large pan over medium-high heat and add chicken breasts, 2 at one time and sear them: cook 3 minutes on one side then turn and cook another 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat the process with remaining chicken breasts. Wipe pan clean with some paper towel and return pan to the stove.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add 3 sliced shallots, and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until translucent. Add minced garlic, and sauté for another minute. Add roughly chopped mushrooms and cook, stirring often for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Clean again the pan with some paper towel and return to the stove.
- Melt remaining butter over medium-high heat. Add 1 shallot left and sauté for a few minutes until translucent. Add rice and sauté for a couple of minutes. Then add chicken broth, water and let the liquid come to a boiling. Simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat, add heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, parsley and sage leaves and mix them together. Add sautéed mushroom mixture and place the chicken breasts on top then cover with some aluminum foil.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven, remove the aluminum foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes more or the rice is tender. Remove from oven, and let stand 10 minutes. You can serve with some toasted almonds sprinkled on top
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g