This One Pan Chicken and Squash is an easy and delicious weeknight dinner recipe! Crispy skin baked chicken and roasted butternut squash, with a touch of garlic, paprika and thyme makes this one pan meal perfect for the whole family!
Ok, folks! One of the questions I get asked most often is what are my favorite dinner recipes I make on a busy weeknight.
Quick answer: One Pan Meals!
They’re so easy to make, and this chicken and butternut squash has become one of my most popular recipes! If you’re looking for other one pan recipes, try these One Pan Baked Italian Chicken, One Pan Chicken with mushrooms and creamy rice, or Crispy Skin Peri Peri Chicken Thighs
I love one pan recipes! Nothing easier than tossing all ingredients together in one pan and wait for the food to be ready..and less dishes to be done afterwards.
Ingredients for Chicken Butternut Squash
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- chicken thighs – skin on
- butternut squash
- olive oil
How to Make Chicken and Butternut Squash
Ultimate fall comfort food, incredibly flavors and really easy to make. All you have to do is toss all ingredients together, put them in the oven, set the timer and go back to all those things you still have to tick off your list.
I like to have my roasted chicken thighs done at 400F/ 200C. It takes less time to bake chicken thighs at 400 and the skin is always absultely crispy!
You dont have to check on it while roasting, as the chicken thighs roast the juices coming out of the checkine skin and meat will combine just perfectly with the squash and condiments.
This is one of the most easiest recipes when it comes to weeknight dinners!
Should you bake chicken thighs covered or uncovered?
I never cover the chicken when baking it if it has skin. If you choose to have skinless chicken pieces, always have them covered for the first 30 minutes of cooking
How do you know when chicken thighs are cooked?
So easy…just cut through one of the chicken pieces and if the juice that comes out of the piece is clear, they are done! If the juice is unclear, pinkish color, they are absolutely not done.
Can I make this recipe with chicken drumsticks or legs?
Absolutely! You can substitute the chicken thighs with drumsticks or chicken legs, you will just need to adjust the time in the oven accordingly: less 5-10 minutes for drumsticks and 5-10 minutes more for full chicken legs.
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on
- 2 lb/1 kg butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bulb garlic, halved
- 4-5 fresh thyme sprigs
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F/ 200C, having the rack in the middle.
- In a large bowl, add chicken thighs and cubed butternut. Add olive oil, paprika, fresh, thyme and salt and pepper and give them a good toss, maing sure that the olive oil and condiments mix is evenly distributed on the chicken and butternut.
- Place the whole mixture into a large oven proof pan or baking sheet and place the in oven.
- Roast in the oven for almost 50 minutes, until chicken is dark golden with cripsy skin and butternut is soft. Remove from oven and allow to cool down for a couple of minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 750Total Fat 46gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 34gCholesterol 333mgSodium 537mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 8gSugar 5gProtein 63g