Quick, easy one pot shrimp tomato and potato stew, combining all the great flavors from the local markets fresh produce.
I don’t know about you, guys but I have a big problem what to cook on Mondays! No midweek, end of the week, just Mondays. It’s like my whole inspiration is gone. Just staring at my fridge and it comes…Nothing.
Lucky me, I had some seafood in the freezer that saved me this week! You know I love shrimp (prawns)! Have used them with cauliflower fried rice, in Jambalaya or Risotto, but never in a stew….And what better way to finish the day than with a quick, really easy one pot meal?
Well, not just a meal.
A hearty stew at this time of the year is exactly what you need. All the great flavors from the local markets harvest packed in a quick, easy one pot shrimp (prawn) tomato and potato stew.
Trust me, you are going to love with this perfect fall stew recipe, made with fresh tomatoes (they are so great now!), shrimp and small potatoes. You can tell that I have been spending my whole weekend exploring our local area and all the farms we were able to find.
I like to make my own tomato sauce old style. I mean old, how it was done 20-30 years ago. Come on, don’t laugh! It is hands down the best and easiest way to have a healthy tomato sauce, especially if you are making small quantities.
So, I take a fresh tomato, cut it in half and then have my grated box placed in a large bowl. I take the cut side of tomato, place it on the coarse side of the grater and just grate. In less than 2 minutes you’ll have the most amazing tomato sauce. You can find a short video here, how to do it 🙂 You will never go back to pre packed tins or bottles.
Best of all?
The whole dish comes together in just 40 minutes!
- 1 lb/ 500g small round potatoes new potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 4 celery sticks cut into small pieces
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 5 large tomatoes/ 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 250 ml white wine
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 1 lb/ 500g raw large shrimp king prawns peeled and deveined
- pinch chilli flakes
- large handful chopped fresh parsley
- toasted bread to serve
- Wash the potatoes, cut them in thick slices and put the slices in a saucepan to boil for 10 minutes or until cooked but still firm. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add sliced celery and chilli flakes, season and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the tomato sauce, white wine and stock and cook for 15 mins. Add the shrimps (prawns), drained capers and boiled potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes more, or until the shrimps (prawns) turn pink and are just cooked. Scatter some fresh chopped parsley over the stew, then serve with toasted bread.
To make coarse tomato sauce:
I take 5 fresh tomatoes, cut them in half and then have my grated box placed in a large bowl. I take the cut side of tomato, place it on the coarse side of the grater and just grate.