Plum Galette with crunchy almond streusel topping, a simple, rustic recipe highlighting the fantastic plum flavors.
I cannot think of a better way to start saying summer goodbye than with a plum galette! Fresh, locally grown vibrant colored plums, lightly sweetened with maple syrup in a rustic dough and finished with crunchy almond streusel topping.
Well, as summer fades away, making room for some cooler evenings, my cravings are moving towards baked, comfort food. I am starting to think about pies, roasts and pumpkin. Ups! We are not starting the pumpkin subject…yet 🙂
I made my first galette last year and it was instant love! I love a good, honest galette! The simple, rustic looking yet, impressive in a way, somewhere between a tart and a pie is just my definition of perfection. If you were asking me what would be my favorite pick between a pie and a tart, I would say a Galette!
My Plum Galette with almond streusel recipe can be easily adapted to a large variety of seasonal stone fruits. It requires nothing more than a big scoop of vanilla ice cream for these, still warm days or some vanilla custard for cooler ones.
- 7 oz/ 200g butter stick cold
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 175 ml cold water
- 1 egg white
- 5 large plums pitted and sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- vanilla ice cream
- Almond Streusel Topping:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold butter cubed
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- To make the pastry, mix the flour in a big bowl with 2 tablespoons sugar and a pinch of salt. Using a coarse grater, grate in the butter, trying to hold it as little as possible so that it doesn't warm up too much and stirring it in with a cutlery knife as you go. When all the butter is in, give it a final good stir then quickly stir in 175 ml cold water. Lightly bring the pastry together with your hands, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 min.
- Meanwhile, place plum slices in a medium bowl, add the maple syrup and cornflour and mix. Set aside until your pastry is ready.
- Almond Streusel: In bowl, stir flour with sugar. Using fingers, rub in butter until crumbly. Stir in almonds. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 400F/ 200C. Lightly dust a baking sheet with flour and roll out the pastry onto it in a rough circle until the pastry is about 0.5cm thick. Give the fruit another mix, then place the sliced plums, arranging them in overlapping patterns, leaving a 7cm border of clear pastry all around the edge. Fold the pastry border up and over the fruit filling, pinching bits together to keep it neat and in place. Sprinkle streusel over the filling. Whisk the egg white until very frothy. Using a pastry brush, spread the egg white all over the pastry.
- Dredge over some sugar and bake it for 40 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and crispy. Serve straight from the oven with vanilla ice-cream