Quick and easy Thai Pumpkin Soup with Shrimp (Prawn) recipe. The pumpkin adds that pinch of sweetness required to get a perfectly balanced Thai soup.
This month is entirely dedicated to Pumpkin!
We are going to have a pumpkin blast this month, trying various recipes from around the world and cook pumpkin in not so traditional ways. Still crazy yum!
Today we are heading to Thailand to try an amazing Thai Pumpkin Soup with Shrimp (Prawn)!
What comes first to your mind when you think of Thai food?
Spicy 🙂 right?! Fresh herbs like cilantro (coriander), lemongrass, mint, basil?
The most amazing balance of spicy, sour, sweet, salty and bitter?
Well, I wanted to combine all these incredible Thai flavors and PUMPKIN in an ultra comforting, not so spicy, seasonal soup – Red Thai Pumpkin and Shrimp (Prawn) Soup. I know, most of you will expect a curried, creamy soup but not this time. I am stepping out of my creamy soup zone and I am so happy I did it! I absolutely loved the still crunchy texture of these pumpkin cubes!
How to make Thai Pumpkin Soup?
Usually, the most difficult part when making an exotic dish is finding the right, authentic ingredients. This recipe is incredible easy and quick to make. You’ll be able to find all ingredients as Thai Red Curry, coconut milk at any local supermarket, in the Asian section. No need to make a lengthy trip to an Asian supermarket.
Apart from the Red Thai Curry paste, all ingredients are really easy to find, everyday seasonal staple pantry items:
- Coconut milk
- Chicken stock
- Fresh herbs
You will have this Thai Pumpkin Soup ready to serve in just 30 minutes!
Quick and easy Thai Pumpkin Soup with Shrimp (Prawn)
- 1 lb/ 500 g pumpkin peeled and cut in small cubes
- 1/2 lb/ 250 g raw shrimp prawn peeled and deveined
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion thinly sliced thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Thai red curry paste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved lengthways
- snow peas thin sliced lengthways
- fresh cilantro coriander
- fried shallots
- lime wedges
- In a large saucepan heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add sliced onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add red Thai Paste and cook, stirring from time to time for 2-3 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Add pumpkin squares and chicken stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk, shrimp (prawn) and tomatoes. Simmer for 3 minutes or until shrimp changed color to pink and the pumpkin squares are just cooked, still a bit crunchy.
- Saddle into bowls, garnish with thinly sliced snow peas, fresh cilantro and serve with lime wedges.