These Roasted Turkey Thighs Stuffed with Dried Cranberries, Mushrooms and Sausage are the perfect alternative to roasting a whole bird for Thanksgiving.
There is no Thanksgiving feast without turkey!
Well, it doesn’t have to be the whole bird always :)..you can choose rich and succulent turkey thighs.
I have decided not to roast a whole bird this year..again 🙂
It is just the 3 of us and I am really not a big fan of leftovers for more than 1-2 days after Thanksgiving. Last year I have tried my hand at making a stuffed turkey breast and was really happy how it turned out! Would like to try similar but different in the same time, replacing the turkey breast with turkey thighs. I know most of us are not giving them enough attention and love 🙂 but they make a wonderful and juicy roulade.
Juicy turkey thighs with a stuffing of bread crumbs, dried cranberries, mushrooms, Italian sausage and some dry white wine, rolled up into a messy roulade and roasted. Soooo good!
Removing the turkey thighs bones was so easy! Because there is only one bone in every thigh, that runs the length of it, you just need to cut along one side of the bone, trying to stay as close as possible to it. Repeat the process on the other side and you should be able to get your knife under the bone and remove it. That’s it! Told you it’s easy 🙂
Now, rolling and trussing is an art, believe me!
I have tried my best in rolling these thighs but I am far from making it perfect.
You may want to cut some horizontal lines where you have the thickest parts of the thighs to make some more room for stuffing and make your life easier when rolling it in a roulade 🙂
What are your plans, this year?
Are you roasting a whole turkey?
or are you just like me?
- 4 skin on turkey thighs, boned and butterflied
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 2 Italian sausages, casing removed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- In a medium skillet, add 1 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until golden. Add chopped mushrooms, cook for 2-3 minutes and crumble sausage meat over the mixture. Cook, stirring a few times for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add some chopped fresh sage. Add dried cranberries and white wine to the skillet too and simmer for another minute. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. Stir in breadcrumbs and allow to cool down.
- Meanwhile, arrange turkey thighs skin down on a work surface. Season with salt and pepper and divide stuffing among the 4 thighs. Smooth stuffing in an even layer and roll each thigh around stuffing into a roulade. Secure each roll with kitchen twine around circumference and a longer loop around the length to hold ends in place too.
- Add some more olive oil to the skillet and cook stuffed turkey thighs for about 2 minutes on each side, to sear them.
- Preheat oven at 350F/ 180C.
- Bake the rolls for about 50 minutes, or until the temperature inside the center of the rolls is 175F.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before cutting it into thick slices. Don't forget to snip strings off before cutting it.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g