Delicious Rustic Berry Tart, packed with fragrant berry flavors in crispy, rough pastry served with vanilla custard!
Rustic Berry Tart with Vanilla Custard Recipe
On Sunday, we went for a walk through the forest and got so inspired by all the beautiful fall foliage, rough textures and amazing light coming through the trees. Did I mention the colors???! OMG…Different shades of red, orange and still vibrant green combined, was just surreal. I am absolutely in love with this time of the year in Philly. Drop-dead gorgeous. Don’t believe me?.. just have a look at this!
This day out has inspired me to bake a Rustic Berry Tart with Vanilla Custard.
Would be a perfect dessert for a picnic in the forest 🙂 I should bring one with us next time. It is so simple to make, it is going to be your favorite tart! I am not kidding, it is full packed with delicious berry flavors and the crispy, rough pastry adds texture to the whole dessert.
You can choose the light option and serve it with fresh berries or you can go wild, adding lashings of vanilla custard, as I did 🙂 I have to admit, I am terrible staying on the light side of desserts.
There are no tricks about this recipe. It requires just a tinny bit of planning. The morning before you want to make the tart, remember to put the butter in the freezer. This way will be easier to grate it when making the pastry.
- 2 cups blackberries
- 3 cups blueberries
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch/ cornflour
- zest of 1 orange
- 7 oz/ 200g butter stick, frozen
- 2 cups &1/2 all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 175 ml cold water
- 1 egg white
- To make the pastry, mix the flour in a big bowl with 2 tbsp sugar and a pinch of salt. Using a coarse grater, grate in the butter, trying to hold it as little as possible so that it doesn't warm up too much and stirring it in with a cutlery knife as you go. When all the butter is in, give it a final good stir then quickly stir in 175 ml cold water. Lightly bring the pastry together with your hands, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 min.
- Meanwhile, layer all the fruits in another bowl and sprinkle over the sugar and cornflour. Add the orange zest and give everything a light mix. Set aside until your pastry is ready.
- Heat oven to 400F/ 200C. Lightly dust a baking sheet with flour and roll out the pastry onto it in a rough circle until the pastry is about 0.5cm thick. Give the fruit another mix, then pile into the middle of the pastry, leaving a 7cm border of clear pastry all around the edge. Fold the pastry border up and over the fruit filling, pinching bits together to keep it neat and in place. whisk the egg white until very frothy. Using a pastry brush, spread the egg white all over the pastry.
- Dredge over some sugar and sprinkle a little more over the fruit filling. Bake it for 40 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and crispy. Serve straight from the oven with vanilla custard or fresh berries on side.
This recipe is adapted from GoodFood magazine, sept 2014
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 532Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 227mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 6gSugar: 24gProtein: 7g
What My Readers are Saying about my Berry Tart Recipe and their True & Tried photos
“Mini sized. Yummy” Cynthia Deutsch on Pinterest