Tostadas, these crisp fried corn discs topped with meat or seafood are a Mexican street food staple and one of my favorite quick dishes I love to make. Spicy Chipotle Shrimp & Corn Tostada is one of the best tostadas I have ever had!
I know. Bold statement. After biting into these layers: crunchy, creamy and juicy, you will understand why.
The creaminess of the avocado is perfectly balanced by the crunch of the fried corn tortilla and the whole dish explodes with the spicy and juicy shrimp (prawn) and corn mixture. An explosion of flavors, that just makes you craving one more. And another one..till there is nothing left.
Frying corn tortillas enhances the corn flavor and creates the perfect, crispy base for the creamy adobo guacamole recipe. I know baked is better, but not when we are talking tostadas 🙂 Using adobo sauce in this vibrant guacamole adds a subtle smoky flavor that just takes your regular guacamole recipe to a new level. Especially if you love spicy food 🙂
You can assemble these spicy chipotle shrimp & corn tostadas before serving or let your guests help themselves by spreading the avocado on a crispy fried corn tortilla and topping with some chipotle shrimp and corn mixture, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, a drizzle of adobo sauce and it’s done!
- Chipotle Shrimp and Corn
- 1 lb/ 500g shrimp prawn, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 chipotle from chipotle in adobo sauce can minced
- salt and pepper
- Adobo Guacamole
- 3 large avocados
- 1 lime half juiced and the other half cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from chipotle in adobo sauce can
- salt and pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- vegetable oil for frying
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp (prawn), minced chipotle and chili powder and cook until they just turn pink for about 1 minute on each side. Remove from heat and transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Add the onion slices, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion softens for about 5-6 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook, stirring, for a couple of second. Add corn kernels and cooked shrimp (prawn), and cook, stirring for about 2-3 minutes.
- To fry corn tortillas add 1 cup vegetable oil to a pan over medium-high heat until simmering hot. Add one corn tortilla at the time and fry for almost 30-40 seconds on each side, until it is crisp and golden. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Repeat with the remaining corn tortillas, adding some more oil if necessary.
- To make adobo guacamole, mash the avocados in a medium bowl. Add salt, pepper, adobo sauce, lime juice, and mix to combine well.
- Serve Spicy Chipotle Shrimp & Corn Tostadas already assembled or leave your guests helping themselves, by spreading adobo guacamole over crispy corn tortillas and top with shrimp (prawn) and corn mixture.