Easy Turkey Tetrazzini recipe! It is delicious and will be ready in no time!
Thanksgiving is coming and along with it will come leftovers too. Usually big quantities of leftovers. I know, I am way ahead jumping to tell you what to do with leftovers when I didn’t even post a turkey recipe. We always plan and make more than is needed. At least that is what happens in our family for Thanksgiving and of course Christmas 🙂 So, what are you supposed to do with all of these leftovers once you had enough of reheated turkey? You bake a casserole and try my Turkey Tetrazzini recipe!
Turkey Tetrazzini is an American baked pasta dish invented in San Francisco and named after Luisa Tetrazzini, famous opera singer in early 1900s. Traditionally, it includes a creamy sauce, pasta, turkey, mushrooms and peas. From here on, the possibilities are endless. You can add anything your heart desires, I’ve seen recipes with bacon added, some with plenty of vegetables added and so on. If you haven’t had Turkey Tetrazzini before, you’ll absolutely love it!
It is delicious, really easy to make and will be ready in no time. You cook your pasta separately, sauté the mushrooms and onions, make the sauce, toss all of them together, adding the peas too, spread some shredded cheese on top and some bread crumbs and you bake it. Quick and easy. Give it just 50 minutes, preparation and cooking time included and that’s it! Dinner is on the table! This way you get to enjoy your turkey leftovers and have a new dish for your family. Kids will be more than happy with it, too!
Next week I will have the first Thanksgiving menu option up and running. Will be turkey, side dishes, dessert and I promise will squeeze in another recipe for leftovers. I cannot wait to see what you think of it!
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles/ or any kind of pasta
- ⅔ cup plain bread crumbs
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 1&1/2 cups sliced white button mushrooms/ cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups cooked turkey, cut into cubes
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups organic chicken broth
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- Cook egg noodles/ pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside. Meanwhile, heat oven to 425 degrees F. In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, ¼ cup cheese, 3 tbsp butter, salt and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 tablespoon butter, the mushrooms, onion and salt. Sauté over medium-high heat for 5-8 minutes, then transfer to a bowl. Toss in turkey and peas and set aside.
- For sauce, in a medium saucepan, whisk together broth, flour and remaining 2 tablespoons butter, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking constantly, until thickened, 4 to 5 minutes; remove from heat. Stir in remaining ½ cup cheese, the lemon juice and thyme. Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large baking dish, combine sauce, turkey mixture and egg noodles/ pasta; top with bread crumb mixture. Bake until golden and bubbling, 13 to 15 min. Serve warm.
Hope you’ll have a great weekend, wherever you are!