Golden fall squash, sweet potato and apple bake! Crispy, healthy and really easy to make.
A last minute Thanksgiving side dish idea!
Butternut squash, acorn squash, sweet potatoes, apples, dried cranberries and walnuts paired with butter, maple syrup and nutmeg…all baked to a golden crisp! Because there is no Thanksgiving feast without an amazing veggies side dish!
This vibrant and healthy dish comes together in less than 1 hour and for sure you already have these ingredients in your pantry this time of the year. Everyone will rave about this dish!
If you are just short of a side dish, give this recipe a try! Just a quick tip…use a springform bake pan! This way, you don’t have to worry about messing up the whole dish when you remove it from a baking pan. Trust me, it gets really messy. Tried and failed with a regular baking pan 🙂
I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving!
and don’t forget…
Thanksgiving is not only a day, it’s a way of living!
That’s how I see it 🙂
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and thinly sliced (1/2 inch)
- 1 acorn squash, peeled, seeds removed, thinly sliced (1/2 inch)
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
- 3 apples, washed, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Place a large saucepan filled with water over medium high heat and bring to boil. Add butternut and acorn squash slices and allow to boil for 5 minutes, then add sweet potato slices and boil for another 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and rinse.
- Preheat oven to 380F/ 200C.
- Grease a springform pan and put some baking paper on the bottom of the pan.
- Start forming layers, placing boiled squash and sweet potato slices in a spiraling pattern, from inside edge of the pan towards the center. Make another layer of sliced apples on top, using the same pattern. Continue creating layers until you have finished all your squash, sweet potato and apple slices. Sprinkle dried cranberries and set aside.
- In a small saucepan melt butter, mix with maple syrup and nutmeg, give it a good stir and add the mixture over squash and apple slices.
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove, add chopped walnuts and return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.