Perfect shortbread German Terrassen Kekse Christmas cookies with raspberry jam!
Talk about festive season..without a cookie recipe?! In what world would this happen? Not in mine 🙂 Although I am not posting that many cookie recipes I am eating them like no tomorrow .
I promise, I’ll share more..not just eat.
My favorite cookies are German Christmas cookies (Weihnachtsplätzchen)!
Homemade, received or bought, I cannot stop from eating them. How could I??? Each cookie type tastes different and there is always something particularly delicious about each and every type. Stollen, Lebkuchen, spritz cookies, macaroons, Zimtsterne, Vanillekipferl and the list can go on and on…the number of recipes for German Christmas cookies is crazy!
German Christmas cookies are made from different types of doughs with various spices like cinnamon, gloves, cardamon, orange and lemon peels, rum and vanilla. Decorated with sugar and chocolate sprinkles, nuts, almonds, or completely covered with chocolate, these cookies are to die for!
My favorite are Terrassen Kekse cookies! Perfect shortbread cookie stack glued with raspberry jam and powdered with confectioners sugar. Perfect bite sized, these cookies will melt in your mouth. Not to mention are so easy to make, your kids can help too. You will only need a stack cut-out fondant cookie cutters
These Terrassen Kekse cookies are perfect Christmas gifts. I like to wrap them in a large cellophane sheet, place them in decorative boxes and surprise my friends and neighbors. Everyone one loves them…even my husband and he doesn’t have a sweet tooth 🙂
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 stick butter (cold), grated to make butter flakes
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- raspberry jelly/ jam without seed
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (for dusting)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together flour, butter flakes, sugar, vanilla essence and egg yolks. Mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together.
- Shape the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic foil and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/ 180C.
- Roll the dough ¼ inch thick and cut about 40 cookies in 3 sizes. Place all the cookies on an baking sheet lined tray and bake for about 8-10 minutes until they get light yellow. Remove from oven and allow to cool down.
- Stir raspberry jelly/ jam smooth and spread on the bottoms of the large and medium sized cookies. Place the medium cookie on top of the large one and then the small one to have 3 terrassen cookie Dust with powder sugar