So, what do you do when you hear that your local WholeFoods shop has fresh lump crab meat on sale, at half price? You jump, run and get it before it is sold out. I couldn’t think of anything else than crab cakes. I love baked crab cakes, who doesn’t? Have discovered them during our trip to Maryland last year and was instant addiction. There is nothing better than crab and a beer!
I was looking for a recipe that will focus on the sweet pure taste of the crab meat with a minimum of ingredients added. I like the taste of the crab meat and I didn’t want to loose it between so many seasonings. Was looking for something simple that will compliment the crab flavor just perfect, not something overpowering it. It is so easy to loose the flavor!
The red pepper chipotle sauce was just the perfect addition to the cakes, as I needed a spicy touch. So delicious and full of flavor! I have chosen to roast the red peppers. It is so simple and cheaper, not to mention how wonderful the house smells while they are roasting. But if you are in a time limited, feel free to use jarred peppers.
- 16 ounce container lump crab meat check if it was really hand picked of shells
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 finely chopped scallions
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh red pepper
- 1 tbsp low fat mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 lemon juiced
- salt and pepper
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tbsp roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tsp minced canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- Drain the crabmeat, if necessary, and pick through it for shells. Put the crab in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, eggs, scallions, red peppers, mayonnaise, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix well, then fold in the grab meat trying not to turn the mixture into a mash. Gently shape into patties. (I made 12 patties about 1/2 inch thick). Chill in refrigerator for 1/2 hour at least before baking.
- Preheat oven at 400F/ 200C. Grease a baking sheet with cooking spray. Bake them about 10 minutes on each side, until nicely browned.
- Meanwhile baking, in a small blender puree the roasted pepper, chipotle chillies, mayonnaise, lime juice.
- Drizzle the sauce over crab cakes and enjoy!
This recipe was update from SkinnyTaste