This week was all about testing bite size recipes for our upcoming Valentine Day party. I have never been into the whole dinner for two, flowers, cards kind of day…but I love PINK, hearts and all those cute, silly Valentine crafts….and I’ll take chocolate any day:)
So, what better way to celebrate than a party? I have to make use of all the cute little things I bought, right?! I am not talking about a big, elaborated one, just hanging around with our friends and celebrate life!
Yesterday, I made heart shaped Lamingtons, Australian delicious sponge cakes, dipped in chocolate sauce and covered in shredded coconut. Just heaven! I have probably ate my body weight in Lamingtons…and some! 🙂 You probably have almost all the ingredients (eggs, butter, flour, sugar, milk chocolate, heavy cream and shredded coconut) in your fridge/ pantry already and you’ll have these ready in no time.
I remember I came across an article back in January this year when I was still trying to decide what to make for Australia Day and ended up baking these delicious Sausage Rolls, where was debated if freezing the cake sponge may be the little trick for perfect Lamingtons. I have no idea if it really works as I have decided to go with freshly made sponge.
The final product? As delicious and moist as remembered 🙂 I prefer the simple ones, without jam but for some Aussies, Lamingtons without jam are a disaster. I did make some with jam too because I really wanted to try the new raspberry jam I bought from my favorite farm within the area.
Just one thing…prepare yourself to get your hands dirty when dunking the laming tons in the chocolate sauce. I know most of the recipes out say to use 2 forks when coating them but it’s not working as it should. You don’t get that much control on covering all the parts and handling those forks is a nightmare.
- 1 stick (8 tbsp) unsalted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk chocolate morsels
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- a pinch of salt
- Sponge Cake
- Preheat oven to 180F/ 350C. Grease and flour an approximately 8" x 8" pan and set it aside. In a small saucepan melt the butter and allow to cool. Meanwhile in a bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In another large bowl, separate the eggs, beating the egg whites and sugar until soft peaks form with a hand mixer. Add the melted butter, egg yolks and vanilla essence. Continue beating adding dry ingredients gradually, until completely combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, smoothing the top. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before inverting the cake onto a rack and allowing to cool completely. Cut into shapes(I made hearts, but you can choose to cut them into squares or any shape desired) and set aside.
- Chocolate Sauce
- Start boiling heavy cream in a saucepan. Meanwhile place milk chocolate morsels in a bowl and when heavy cream has reached the boiling point pour over chocolate and let sit for 1-2 minutes. Slowly stir until smooth and set aside.
- Assembling Lamingtons
- Place shredded coconut in a large tray. Roll sponge cake shapes in chocolate sauce and then roll in shredded coconut. Transfer them to a rack allowing them to chill until chocolate sets, at least 30 minutes.