Uruguayan Chivito Sandwich Recipe
Next stop on our itinerary is in Uruguay!
According to the legend, one day a great chef in Punta del Este, Uruguay, had an Argentine lady walked into a beach-side restaurant and requested a sandwich, specifying it should be made with cheviot, grilled baby goat, the kind she could get back home.
But the chef was faced with a big problem…he had no goat meat in the kitchen, but he wanted to satisfy his customer. As Uruguay is home to some of the world’s best grass-fed beef, he quickly grilled a thin slice of steak, then layered it in a freshly baked roll, adding tomato, lettuce and mayonnaise.. And the chivito was born! It is now found everywhere in Uruguay.
This recipe could not be simpler. Just fry or boil the eggs, grill the bacon and steak and add the rest of the ingredients, for the most delicious sandwich your mouth has ever tasted. As the Uruguayans say, delicious!
Don’t forget to add ketchup and mayonnaise – a mix known as ‘salsa golf’ in South America.
- 1 boneless rib steak, sliced horizontally into 4 thin steaks
- Coarse salt
- 4 sandwich rolls
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 rashers smoked bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices mozzarella
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 2 to matoes, sliced
- 2 Roasted Peppers
- Pound the steaks lightly with a meat mallet until they are evenly about 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Split the rolls and spread mayonnaise on both halves; set aside.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and crisp the smoked bacon on, turning once; set aside on a paper towel. Heat a grill pan and add the steaks to cook, without moving, for 2 minutes. Turn and cook for another minute, or until done to taste.
- Meanwhile heat the olive oil until it shimmers, then fry the eggs until the whites are cooked but the yolks are still runny, or if you prefer to use boiled eggs, boil them for 3-4 minutes.
- Place the lettuce, a steak on the bottom half of each of the rolls and top with a tomato slice, cheese, and crisp bacon and a fried egg/ boiled egg, Close the sandwiches. Slice in half and serve.
This recipe was adapted from here
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g