An easy, healthy Italian recipe White Bean Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms! Nutritious vegetarian meal that has only 340 calories per serving, melted cheese included
If you love mushrooms and fresh Tuscan flavors as much as I do, then you will love this recipe for sure! Portobello mushrooms are so great for a vegetarian side dish or main course. Large enough to fill a salad plate you can stuff them with a variety of flavors.
My first choice was Tuscan white bean stew. Nothing better than juicy beans cooked in a fragrant tomato sauce and fresh basil with a hint of garlic 🙂 Healthy without having to compromise on flavors. Made with real grated tomato sauce, bursting with all traditional Tuscan flavors.
For this recipe you need to look for large Portabella mushroom caps with no cracks on the sides. It doesn’t matter if they are quite flat or they have higher walls, your white bean stew filling is not going to be runny and come out when you bake them. One less reason to worry about…not a messy dish!
Hope you will enjoy them!
- 4 large Portabella mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 zucchini, very thin sliced
- ¼ cup mozzarella grated
- Preheat oven to 400F/ 200C.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Brush the mushrooms caps with some olive oil and place them inside down on the tray. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven, drain any liquid excess and turn them over. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a frying pan. Add onion, garlic, chopped mushroom stems, basil leaves and sauté for a couple of minutes, until softened. Add beans, white wine and tomato passata and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- When it has finished cooking, spoon generously bean stew among the mushrooms caps. Top with sliced zucchini and sprinkle mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the cheese is just golden.
- Serve as a main dish or as a side dish with some salad on side