Easy, quick, one pan Italian flavors inspired recipe, chicken breasts baked in tomato sauce (or even better, a tomato passata) with diced celery sticks, bacon and plenty of fresh basil.
This is one of those crazy good meals you crave long after your last bite! And one of my secret (up till now) quick recipe to make if you want to impress your guests with your home cooking talents. I know it may not sound that spectacular BUT the flavors and just incredibly perfect!
There is nothing tricky, about this recipe. The only part you have to be a bit careful is not overcooking the chicken, as the recipe calls for chicken breasts and we all know how unpleasant is a dry piece of meat.
You don’t have to make your own tomato sauce for this recipe. You can use some good quality crushed tomatoes from a tin, or an Italian passata. I love to make my own passata every fall and store it in the pantry to use during the year. The sauce simmers with the chicken creating a thick rich tomato sauce.
I usually serve it with some fresh, warmed baguette on side to fully enjoy the sauce. You can add rice, pasta or even potatoes on side.
- 6 medium chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly chopped
- 2 medium celery sticks, sliced
- 8-10 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 L tomato passata
- 1 cup chicken stock/ broth
- 1 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large oven proof skillet. Season with salt and pepper the chicken breast and add them to the pan, cooking 2 minutes per each side, 4 minutes in total. Remove from the pan and set aside on a large plate.
- Return the pan to the heat, add olive oil (1 tablespoon leftover) and onion and cook for 1-2 minutes until softens. Add chopped bacon and sliced celery sticks and sauté for a couple of minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add tomato passata. Mix to combine, add 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil and reduce the heat to low, allowing to simmer for 10 minutes. If the mixture get too thick, add 1 cup chicken broth.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F/ 170C.
- Remove the pan from heat, add chicken breasts to it, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, remove the foil, sprinkle 1/2 cup fresh basil on top and serve warm.
Amount Per Serving Calories 368Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 123mgSodium 593mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 47g